My Monterey
amanphoto

Monterey 250cr Horn

I'm in the process of installing a windless on my boat. I looked in the anchor locker for wiring. I noticed that there is a bracket and extra wiring. How many horns are suppose to be in there?

post-22925-0-55651200-1426444204_thumb.jpg

Typically it's a dual horn that is installed. Can get a new one for around $60.00

Typically, on a 250CR, the horn is mounted on the starboard side, above the rub rail, between the anchor roller and forward cleat, and

they are a single element horn that can be bought at West Marine, or any on-line retailer that carries them.

4682229_20140410121142519_2_LARGE.jpg

The horn below in the link would be a direct replacement for the boat. Much less than $60.00

http://www.iboats.com/AFI-Mini-Hidden-Horn/dm/cart_id.724452498--session_id.554372404--view_id.38076

10031-cmyk-99_0.jpg

I looked in 250CR and there are two horns, the other wires are for the second horn.

Question. What would be louder? Two hidden horns pinged at the grill opening, or one horn that fits in the grill opening and blasts upward? A horn that fits in the opening and blast outward is about 105dB. If I install two horns (210 dB) inside the anchor locker that are aimed at horn mesh opening how many dV is lost from the in closure? I don't want big air horns on my deck, but I want to be loud.

post-22925-0-75274300-1428239253_thumb.jpg

post-22925-0-94881800-1428239268_thumb.jpg

post-22925-0-35373600-1428239300_thumb.jpg

post-22925-0-44277500-1428239317_thumb.jpg

One horn mounted in the opening provided will be louder than two in the anchor locker. Neither will really be "loud" as they are not required to be.

It may sound feeble, but the sound actually carries quite well.

Go with the stock set up, and do not worry about it.

I had two horns. I went to an auto parts store and bought a double set for $30. In 'amanphoto' photos the forth photo to the right looks more or less like the double set I installed .

I was able to angle both outputs to the mesh opening and they are louder than just a single horn, just like the first picture he posted. I purchased that single horn and I didn't think it was loud enough so I returned it to wmarine.

Northwest boaters are deft! When launching or retrieving their boats, they are the "get out of my way it's all mine" people and you need a horn that they can really hear when you blow it 5 blasts.

Fallow up. I replaced it with twin horns I got at the auto parts store. When I plug both horns in (it is wired from the factory for two) they don't work. When I unplug one of them (doesn't matter which one) the one horn works. Any ideas? But two horn will not sound.

Fallow up. I replaced it with twin horns I got at the auto parts store. When I plug both horns in (it is wired from the factory for two) they don't work. When I unplug one of them (doesn't matter which one) the one horn works. Any ideas? But two horn will not sound.

Looking at your posted picture, check the wires that are not hooked up to the horn. They look like someone added these. Could be one of the wires isn't make a connection. I would remove the tape and check the connection.

If one horn works the other should too. I would solder the wires and cover them with shrink wrap.