My Monterey
torombolo

Hatch Gasket

Hello, I need to replace the side windows (hatches) rubber gasket for my 2001 Monterey 262, I bought some D-sponge gasket but it is not thick enough, has anyone done this? Where could I get replacements ??

Thank you

Hello, I need to replace the side windows (hatches) rubber gasket for my 2001 Monterey 262, I bought some D-sponge gasket but it is not thick enough, has anyone done this? Where could I get replacements ??

Thank you

I have a 242 Cruiser. I pulled all four of my windows to reseal them. Three of them had a small leak with the water running down the bottom of the window.

I didn't have any gaskets. Two of the windows had been worked on before me and silicone was used and it took me all day to remove.

I used butyl tape to reseal the windows. It was super easy to work with, it's like gray sticky thick puddy. The tape comes in different flat widths.

I put a row of tape on the inside up against the part of the window that is against the outside of the boat, then a row of tape around the large 3 or 4 inch section, you see what I'm talking about when you pull the widow.

When I reinstalled the window it was tight due to the tape. I used a rubber mallet to tap the window back into place. This spread the tape out because the window got "larger" in diameter due to the tape and this spreading out of the tape sealed the inside and outside of the window. You put the chrome strip back around the outside of the window and you're done. No more leaks and I live in "Water Wonderland" it's wet 9 months of the year.

The nice part of this is the tape never gets hard, it will not crack, it will not pull away when you're in heavy water and the boat flexes.

The fourth window that I did was by mistake :( I pulled the window that was for the head that never leaked. I wanted to pull the single window that is forward of the head and the only window for the cabin on the starboard side. I placed my ladder near the head window then went into my garage to get my tools and when I returned I didn't look twice and just went to work pulling the WRONG window. But in the end I felt a lot better about my mistake because I know that window won't leak in the future.

It's work but well worth it. Good luck!

getaway great explanation thank you for the write up. I think I will look into your way.

getaway great explanation thank you for the write up. I think I will look into your way.

Glad I could help. It sure worked for me and that tape is CHEAP. I bought my roll from an RV store. You can also use it to bed your railings too. Any place that water might get a chance to enter your boat.

If you believe a part of your railing is leaking loosen up that stansion put some tape under all of it then secure it back onto the deck. As you tighten up the bolts you'll squeeze the tape out but there will still be tape under the foot of that stansion that will spread out and cover the underside. All you'll have to do is use your finger and remove the excess tape that squeezed out. No muss not fuss and NO LEAK!!

Good Luck. Let us know how you make out in a future post.