My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
beau

Range / Fuel Consumption

This is a very basic topic. It was probably discussed in the old forums, the old forums are now empty!

For whatever reason, I have not had an opportunity to accurately measure the fuel economy of our Monterey.

Sometimes the fuel dock is closed, other times I have a passenger who is in a rush to get back. sometimes I do not want a full tank, sometimes I was not the last one to use the boat.

Our boat is a 1999 Monterey 262 (5.7L / 70 gallon tank)

If I had to guess, I would say I consumed 18 gallons on a 2.5 hour / 30 mile offshore cruise (two hours on plane, half hour at "no wake" speeds.)

that works out to 7.2 gallons an hour (just an estimate from looking at the fuel gauge) (this particular cruise had mild (5 knot) winds, mild waves (2-3 foot) and a mild current abeam)

Is my guestimate in the right ballpark? What kind of range / fuel burn should I be seeing?

How many gallons do you guys burn in an hour?

This is a very basic topic. It was probably discussed in the old forums, the old forums are now empty!

For whatever reason, I have not had an opportunity to accurately measure the fuel economy of our Monterey.

Sometimes the fuel dock is closed, other times I have a passenger who is in a rush to get back. sometimes I do not want a full tank, sometimes I was not the last one to use the boat.

Our boat is a 1999 Monterey 262 (5.7L / 70 gallon tank)

If I had to guess, I would say I consumed 18 gallons on a 2.5 hour / 30 mile offshore cruise (two hours on plane, half hour at "no wake" speeds.)

that works out to 7.2 gallons an hour (just an estimate from looking at the fuel gauge) (this particular cruise had mild (5 knot) winds, mild waves (2-3 foot) and a mild current abeam)

Is my guestimate in the right ballpark? What kind of range / fuel burn should I be seeing?

How many gallons do you guys burn in an hour?

I know what you mean about challenges of getting an accurate measure, I rarely top back off and measure time accurately while out boating. Additionally consumption varies significantly with rpms and I typically am varying rpms over the boating trip. Addtional, performance varies with weight (people or fuel) and weather conditions. With all this said, your numbers are right in line with my experience 7-8 gallons per hour at typical cruising speeds. I have a 2001 Monterey 262, so I was interested to compare your experience. I thought I might be underestimating because fellow boaters with similar sized Sea Rays (similar engine) in our boating club where saying they consume more fuel. I checked the weight and the Monterey is lighter perhaps more effecient hull design as well? My Monterey gets up onto plane quicker and easier.