My Monterey
torombolo

Bravo 3 Kept in water

Hi everyone, wanted to share some pics of my Bravo 3 from my 262. This is from my own negligence, this boat has been kept in the water (salt water) for years and I had to replace a leaking seal as you can see lower unit was pitted and badly corroded had to destroy to take out the inside workings.

post-24115-0-19685400-1493208911_thumb.jpg

post-24115-0-39643600-1493208924_thumb.jpeg

post-24115-0-25234200-1493208936_thumb.jpg

Hi there

As far as I can see, this unit should go to trash, if you can just buy a new Bravo 3 unit and replace the old one.

I normally change the zyncs 6 to 6 month, or 4 to 4 it depends, just to avoid this.

How was the rest off your unit?

Upper was fine, and all the inners were fine, just the lower unit case and carrier had to be scrapped.

No, just replaced the lower casing and the carrier, everything else was fine. What it now has is only cosmetic. 

20161112_122539[1].jpg

Sorry for late reply,

This just look very nice now... Did y already take it to water? see any problems? note any diference?

Did y try to desacelerate and go to top speed just to see the response? is it the same like before... if yes then nice work on the unit...

I can give you a information you just have very lucky, problably your boat was placed with some boats that have good zyncs, the electricity on a marine water is very complicated, when your zyncs fails the only thing that can save your engine is the others boats have bigger zyncs and very close to yours so they pull out the eletricity and not damage yours to much.

where my boat is the marina have this problem all boats complains about this and year after year is getting worst to a point that on some places off the marina some boats like 44 feet change from 2 to 2 months, so they use zyncs on the columms where the boat stays under water like 16 meters under to pull the eletricity out.

This is galvanic eletricity, i think this is the word in english, i´m portuguese so my english is not the best now don´t forget to change them again hahahha 

Thank you Marfi, have not tried yet, had to remove the engine since the starter keeps gettin loose thread was damaged.

marfi, the only major damage I can see and still working on is the transom plate assembly as you can see in the pic. it got a hole on top, rusted all the way trough and damaged the seals or something else and is getting water inside to the bilge. 

ok

try to take the unit out and see the plate and the seals, remember that mercruiser have specific screws, and need specifics tools to take it out, i see some people taking out and don´t use that screws, water will appear inside.

The starter as far as i can see, in your model is under the engine, and connect to the engine wheel, so if water was inside, maybe the starter is full off rust.

In that case, even a good repair is not enoughf, take it out, connect it to a battery and see if it goes up, and down, as you put 12v and take out the 12v,. to simulate the engine start.

Also remmember that you engine could have a heater gas, this is to insert gasoline at the right temperature in the engine, mercruiser says that this part never get damage, that is not true, since is under the engine it can be also damage, if so is not a cheap part, i changed mine last year keep loosing water, this part is like a spring that use salt water, and in the spring goes fuel, salt water is around the spring,

Also check the engine wheel, and see if it has too much rust