My Monterey
Heinrich

Lower Shift Cables - Mercruiser 350MAG MPI

Hi all,

I have a Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI  Due Bravo 3 prop on the boat.  Putting her into forward is not an issue, however putting into a reverse is an issue.  It seems that it goes into reverse; however only when you “accelerate” does it seem to “pop” into gear (with of course a major bump sound).  My suspicion is that it has to do with the lower shift cable(s) not being properly aligned/set. 

Has anyone experienced this before?  I’ve looked for YouTube video’s, however it seems only to cover Bravo 1 drives.

Any ideas or perhaps where to find the manual on setting these cables?

Regards,

Heinrich

hi there

I see this on engines, it can be caused by a few things:

1º - cables badly mounted, from x to x hours mercruiser says that you need to changes the cables, i see one engine that the cable was badly changeded and let the cable near the exaust, so it enters in reverse and dosen´t come out from reverse... simple fix, change the cable again.

2º can be the transmission, now if this is the case, y have a problem a brand new can cost you about 5000€ so i think in US can cost about 3500$ and try to fix the transmission is a job that i don´t recomend because y can fix it and happens again

3º -  it can be just a badly cable, or not proper mounted.

So you should take the boat out of the water, take the bravo 3 out and check the cables first, replace them with new ones and try out if it was the case, y can see if the cable is damaged or stuck in somewhere during the mounting before buy new ones.

After that taking care if not repaired then it can be the transmission

Good luck let us know how it turns out