My Monterey
Trip

Hatch on deck?

Hi all,

I just picked up a new (to me) 2006 Explorer 233. Took it out for two beautiful days on the lake last weekend. I had a question about the hatches in the attached photo.

I can't seem to figure out the reason for these hatches. In the photo, it's on the deck behind the captain's chair. There is another behind the other co-pilot chair.
Any ideas?

Trip

IMG_0298.JPG

Storage. But not for anything specific. I would put extra dock lines in there myself.

Great ideas. I should be able to get to the boat next week. I'll see how big they are and see what I could fit. I thought they were access hatches for something. Thanks.

Trip

I have a 2004 233 Explorer (new to me this year) and was wondering the same thing. It looks like something stored in there could slide toward the back of the boat. I wouldn't put anything in there without knowing for sure.

I have a 2005 233 Explorer and I assumed that they would provide access to the seat mechanisms or possible allow for the seats to be removed and replaced. I purchased my 233 this spring and I would like to chat with other 233 owners. I wondered what your top speed and if you have a seat cushion over the engine hatch as well as a cushion in the center of the bow. I only have one in the bow.

I've only had the boat out twice. Next time, if I remember, I'll see what the top speed is. I don't have either of the filler cushions. Do you use the one in the bow? If so, how so? Maybe we should start a 233 owners thread?

Hi Trip,

We were out on the water today (Magothy River, Maryland) and I looked at the hatches again. It looks like there is a floor drain in each of them, but it's raised off the boat floor, so I doubt it would get much use. 

Also, I do have the filler cushion for the bow. It makes a sun pad across the entire bow area and is really nice for laying out. You have to flip up the port and starboard pads in the bow, the put in the fillers before replacing the bench pads. It fits tightly and is very sturdy. I have the stern filler pads for the walk-thru also, but not the filler pads to make the bed between the seats on the port and starboard sides.

I'm all for a 233 owners thread if we can. Pic of mine below.

Matt

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6748.jpg

Matt,

Beautiful boat! I love the black. I might look into the bow cushion, seems like a cool idea. 

I was also out today for a bit and I can't seem to figure out those hatches, they still don't look like storage to me.

I'll start a 233 owners thread, we could share ideas/issues/etc.

Trip