My Monterey
Trip

233 Explorer owners

Calling all 233 Explorer owners...

Since there are a few of us, I thought this could be a spot to share ideas/pics/issues/stories/etc.

I just bought a 2006, with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI. Only been out a few times, but so far so good. Wife and kids are loving the bow to lounge, swim deck and overall comfort. I'm loving that they want to spend more time on the boat. Coming from a 19' fishing boat without much comfort, this is a whole different experience for us. The head doesn't hurt either. As I come up with 233 specific questions, I'll be posting here.

Trip

To All:

Very happy to join a group is 233 Explorer (or even similar models). I own a yellow 2005 233 that we purchased this spring. We live in western Michigan and spend our boating time on Lake Michigan. The boat has a V-P 5.7 with 320 HP. My main issue is I am missing the center rear seat cushion. I can not find a replacement. We are naming the boat "Good Day Sunshine" because it is yellow and it's always a good day out on the boat.

Mike

(mstrampel@comcast.net)

Boat1.jpg

Mike,

Great looking boat, and nice name. Fits the boat. If I come across any center cushions around the marinas in my area, I'll let you know.

Trip

Hi All,

We're winding down our season here in Maryland where we spend time on the water on the Magothy River and Chesapeake Bay. We had a few electrical issues this year as well as ongoing throttle (high RPM) issues to be addressed

I'm still getting used to the handling of my 2004 233 with a 5.0L and am wondering about the top speed you have experienced. Any comments? We are bottom painted and have kept the boat in the water all summer. There a good coating of slime, dirt and some barnacles and we don't seem to be getting much past 35 mph. That said, I'm still a newbie and am hesitant to push too hard.

Thanks.

Matt

boat.jpg

I’m also reluctant to go wide open for some reason. I’ve pushed it to 35 mph, but that’s it.

One issue I’m having is slow to get on plane, the first time out for the day. I’m wondering if it has to do with warming up the engine. How long do you warm up before heading out?

Trip

Warming up the engine has ZERO to do with getting on plane. Periodic WOT runs are recommended.

Is your trim set all the way down when coming out of the hole or do have it trimmed up? Getting up on plane has nothing to do with how warm the engine is. I give my 5.7GXi 2-3 minutes to warm up if its a cold startup then head out.

TD

Trim is down. It’s strange, it only happens the first time getting on plane for the day. Every other time it’s up in no time. I just brought it in to my marina for winter service. I mentioned it to them and they said they will look for any issues while servicing.

Hi 233 Explorer Owners,

I have been having a persistent problem with the boat taking on water very slowly recently and my mechanic can't locate the source. After pulling the boat, he filled the bilge with water to see where it might come out, but no luck. He even pulled the outdrive to look for clues. There is a small fitting/plug on the underside of the boat near the stern. Does anyone know what the purpose of that is? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Matt

Hi.  I'm looking to buy my first boat and I think that the Monterey 233 Explorer is the one for me and my family.  I can't find one available for sale, however.  Anyone know of one for sale?

I have had a 2004 233 Explorer for 4 years and we love it. You may want to also check out the similar 253 and 263 models. The Boat Trader website or app is a good place to start in my opinion and you can focus on your geographic area. Good luck with your search.

Matt

Just picked up a new to us 2006 233 with 5.7GXi-G and 181 hours. Going through and refreshing and fixing small things. Engine is solid but need to do some work on the drive. Plan to do new bearings, etc. I have the original covers, which need replacing and see Ameritex is not taking orders until '22.

I would like to do a full length Bimini that covers up to bow. Anyone have experience adding this option?

Thanks everyone!

Alan

20211115_104648.jpg

Hey all,

I have a 2006 233 also, 5.7 VP. Does anyone know where one could get the clear vinyl windows that Zip on to the Bimini top? It also has zippers on the sides as well. Just curious.

Thanks

On 9/18/2017 at 10:25 AM, mattwascavage said:

Hi All,

We're winding down our season here in Maryland where we spend time on the water on the Magothy River and Chesapeake Bay. We had a few electrical issues this year as well as ongoing throttle (high RPM) issues to be addressed

I'm still getting used to the handling of my 2004 233 with a 5.0L and am wondering about the top speed you have experienced. Any comments? We are bottom painted and have kept the boat in the water all summer. There a good coating of slime, dirt and some barnacles and we don't seem to be getting much past 35 mph. That said, I'm still a newbie and am hesitant to push too hard.

Thanks.

Matt

boat.jpg

Hello,

I have a 2004 explorer 233. It looks just like yours and has a clean bottom and I got it up to 43 miles an hour at TopSpeed with a 5.0 MerCruiser and the alpha three out drive. I really like your double canopy set up. Did you do that yourself? Where did you get them by chance? 

IMG_3486.png

Any Tips how / where advertise for selling Monterey 233 Explorer? Also what are main details people looking for a used boat want to know? Love the boat since bot it 2005 but getting older and its time for another family to enjoy it. Thanks.