My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Dale Caparaso

Circut Breaker Tripping

Good Morning All,

I recently bought a Monterey.  Couple of issues.  First the Bilge Pump keeps tripping the circuit breaker located in the engine compartment.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I own a Monterey 298 Bowrider with twin 350 Mercurisers.  The wiring from the two bilge pumps seem intact and the bilge pump that is in the front of the engines is brand new.  The one in the back may be the issue.  It is also near impossible to get at due to very little room.  The circuit breaker only trips with the bilge switch turned on and it trips after about 5 or 6 seconds.  Suggestions?

Second issue is the fresh water pump.  I noticed just yesterday that too is tripping the circuit breaker which is located in the small bunk compartment on the port side.  My wife needed the fresh water pump turned on and I finally located it.  Turned it on and within seconds it turned off.  This one you don't even need to turn on the pump.  It just trips after 5 or 6 seconds.  Suggestions?

Thank you.  I did it.  The guy before me connected two pumps on one breaker.  The add on pump was the one tripping the breaker.  I kept the original one in place and completely rewired the second one to a second switch at the helm.  Now I am good to go.  Thank you for your help.

Be sure to test the pump under load.  The pump can leak and get water inside.   This will cause it to draw too much current and blow a fuse under load.  It may need to be replaced.  I had this happen.

Double that...  always test electrical items under load to make absolutely certain you are within tolerances.

Glad it appears you got it all squared away!