My Monterey
munroe67

2001 Monterey 282 Horn Switch

I am having a challenge getting my new horn to sound. I installed a set of trumpets on my radar arch and I am only getting a thump from the diaphram and my question is two fold. I am running 18g wire for 25' to the horn from the original switch. The horn does sound through this run when touched to the bus bars under the helm but when connected to the switch it only gives my that thump. I tested the switch and it has 12.4v going in and 12.4v out when activated, I am shooting that it might be one of 2 things. 1.) a bad switch 2.) wire is too small for the length of the run. the first I am having a problem locating the manufacturer of the switch, it looks like a bluesea contura but i could not find anything that had the illuminated horn picture on their website. Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? Thanks in advance for the help

[The wire size is too small. 25 foot run is actually 50 foot. You measure the round trip. You would have only around 5 amp max draw @ 50 feet.

You need to find out what the current draw is on the horns. 12ga wire would give you around 12 amps @ 10% drop.

10ga would give you around 20 amps.

The manual the horns came with should give you recommened wire size.

Hope this helps.

GaryBeez@aol.com

[The wire size is too small. 25 foot run is actually 50 foot. You measure the round trip. You would have only around 5 amp max draw @ 50 feet.

You need to find out what the current draw is on the horns. 12ga wire would give you around 12 amps @ 10% drop.

10ga would give you around 20 amps.

The manual the horns came with should give you recommened wire size.

Hope this helps.

GaryBeez@aol.com

Thanks for the help. I switched to a 12 guage wire but ultimately found that i had a deffective horn (One of 2 was grounded incorrectly and kept cutting out. I am glad that i changed the wire though the new horns sound great