My Monterey
barclam

Boat will not start

I took the boat out of storage and charged up the batteries.  I have a 2014 Monterey 268ss.  I hooked the batteries up and tried to start the boat.  All I get is a clicking noise when I turn the key, the starter does not turn.  All the gauges and everything else in the boat appears to be working.  Any suggestions on what it might be or what I should check.

Thanks

I originally hooked the first battery up backwards.  I did not try anything except the switch to lift engine compartment, and quickly realized it was wrong and fixed it.  Motor is a 350 merc cruiser.  Clicking noise is coming from the top of the engine.

Try replacing the fuel filter located on the left hand side of the engine as you face it. If that doesn't do the trick then you might need to replace the fuel pump itself.

I had the same problem last summer with my 254FS Volvo-Penta 5.7 GXi. 

Good luck.

TD

Have your batteries bench tested. Check for corrosion on terminals and starter.

Does your battery voltage drop of when trying to start? This would indicate a bad battery. 2014 boat- the batteries are going on 4 plus years, lucky to make it that long.  It could have a dead cell, you might be able to run the lights or radio but it won't start the engine.