My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
298SS Guy

U.S. boaters need to take action

Please watch video.

This video is in reference to the water discharge legislation pending in Congress.

Simply put, a law that exempted recreational boaters from getting a permit to discharge water overboard is about to expire.

Discharges include simple engine cooling water, gray water discharge, bilge water or even rain water.

The permits are estimated to cost $800 to a few thousand per season.

If you agree, and I don't know how you couldn't, please click on the "Click here to send a letter to Congress" and send a letter.

It couldn't be easier.

http://www.boattest.com/nmma.aspx

And please, send to all your boating friends.

Thanks.

Bob

My apologies to the webmaster if this is something you do not want on the forum board but none of my

friends are aware of this legislation.

Please watch video.

This video is in reference to the water discharge legislation pending in Congress.

Simply put, a law that exempted recreational boaters from getting a permit to discharge water overboard is about to expire.

Discharges include simple engine cooling water, gray water discharge, bilge water or even rain water.

The permits are estimated to cost $800 to a few thousand per season.

If you agree, and I don't know how you couldn't, please click on the "Click here to send a letter to Congress" and send a letter.

It couldn't be easier.

http://www.boattest.com/nmma.aspx

And please, send to all your boating friends.

Thanks.

Bob

My apologies to the webmaster if this is something you do not want on the forum board but none of my

friends are aware of this legislation.

More government trash to run our lives. These idiots just can't help themselves unless a new tax proposal is in place at EVERY turn, for ANY reason. :angry: Darn right I signed it! Thanks for the link.

An update from my senator in NY.

Thank you for your letter regarding S. 2766, the Clean Boating Act of 2008. Recreational boating is an important part of New York’s economy, and it is a wonderful activity that is enjoyed by thousands of New Yorkers. I agree with you that Congress must be careful not to hamstring recreational boaters and the tourism industry which depends on them by passing unnecessary environmental restrictions.

Boating has the potential to introduce pollutants and invasive species into lakes and rivers. To protect the health of our nation’s waterways, Congress has enacted several national water-quality laws. Among these, the Federal Water Pollution Control Act – commonly known as the Clean Water Act – directs the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to restrict water pollution from ships and boats by requiring them to obtain permits. For 34 years, the EPA exempted recreational boats from this requirement on the grounds that they do not pose a significant danger to water quality. In 2006, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals struck down this regulation. As a result, recreational boaters will have to comply with the same Clean Water Act regulations as ocean-going commercial ships beginning in 2008.

The Clean Boating Act of 2008 simply clarifies the scope of the Clean Water Act’s restrictions on boating specifically to exempt recreational vessels. If passed, this law will protect recreational boaters from having to obtain permits. I have not yet had an opportunity to vote on this legislation, but if I do, I will certainly keep your thoughts on the matter in mind.

Thank you for contacting me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can ever be of assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer

United States Senator

So I ask, does it sound like he gets it? Or cares too? This is why we all must get involved. It seems if there is a way to impose a fee/tax in the current environment it will happen.

Issue Date: 5/16/2008, Posted On: 5/16/2008

Update from "Trade Only Today":

House committee approves Clean Boating Act

The National Marine Manufacturers Association applauded the House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee this week for approving the Clean Boating Act, paving the way for consideration by the House of Representatives.

“What’s pretty significant is that in a Congress that’s been so partisan, we have bipartisan support for boating," Scott Gudes, NMMA vice president of government relations, said this morning.

The Clean Boating Act of 2008, H.R. 5949, would fully and permanently restore a longstanding regulation that excludes recreational boaters and anglers from the federal and state permitting requirements under the Clean Water Act designed for land-based industrial facilities and ocean-going commercial ships. This exemption was overturned by a federal court in 2006 in a case focused exclusively on ballast water from commercial vessels.

Gudes says the legislation is a “good government solution to a looming administrative and legal crisis for boaters across America.”

The House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee, chaired by U.S. Rep. James Oberstar, D-Minn., approved H.R. 5949 this week by voice vote. The bill will now go before the full House for a vote.

“Congress’ work is far from over,” said Gudes. “We now strongly urge the full House and the United States Senate — where identical legislation has 33 bipartisan sponsors — to quickly pass this legislation and send it to the President for signature into law well in advance of the September 2008 permitting deadline.”

H.R. 5949 is identical to S. 2766, Senate legislation introduced by Senators Bill Nelson, D-Fla., and Barbara Boxer, D-Calif. S. 2766 is pending before the Senate Environment & Public Works Committee, chaired by Boxer.

Gudes said the House intends to wait for the Senate to move forward with its version of the bill; it’s hoped the Senate committee will take up S. 2766 next week. Gudes said the industry needs to keep up the pressure to get the bill through Congress and signed by the president before September.

“We have to get them to understand we’re up against a ticking clock,” he said.

— Melanie Winters m.winters@tradeonlytoday.com

Well...finally some good news!