My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Fast Ed

Transducer mounting on 2001 262

I have just bought a Garmin 540S GPS/Sounder. It came with a transom mount transducer. The dealer told me and the Garmin instructions confirm that the transducer can be used as a shoot through the hull mount. This is done by using epoxy to attach the transducer to the bottom but the location is important.

My question is, has anyone had good luck mounting a transducer in such a method? If not, then the second question is about how well the transducer will work mounted on the transon? I have heard for years that I/O boats have to much turbulance at the stern for a transducer to work well.

Any help would be great.

Safe boating.

Ed

Ed,

I have a '00 262 with the Garmin dual frequency transducer mounted on the transom for 8 seasons with no problems. The unit holds bottom up to max speed. Just make sure you follow the transducer install measurements exactly and prop turbulance shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck!

Ray

Thanks for your input Ray. It is great to hear that it has worked for you. I have been reluctant to mount the transducer to the hull and find out that it will lose bottom at speed. That is after all one of the primary reasons for the unit.

Is it possible to see a photo of the location used for your transducer? If so it would be fun to see how the wiring was routed back into the boat. That plug/connector will require a fairly large hole.....and that makes me nervous.

Thanks again.

Ed

Here's one picture but I should have some close ups if you give me some time to look in my files as the boat is in the water.

post-462-1210639700_thumb.jpg

Ed,

Here is one picture but if you email me at recuomo@optonline.net I can send you more shots. If I remember correctly the plug fit through a 1/2" hole that I filled with 5200 sealant and was covered by the "clamshell" provided in the mounting kit.

Ray

post-462-1210681229_thumb.jpg