My Monterey
gwm1471

1998 Explorer Deck Boat with I/O 5.0 Mercruiser

I need some help.  I just purchased a 1998 Monterey Explorer Deck boat and, for the most part, it has been fine.  One problem I am having is with the steering...about 3" of play on either side.  I can't find much information about the boat online except for a owners manual from 2004 here in the forum.  I really need to fix this as it is driving me crazy not being able to keep the boat straight when out in the water.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Are you saying it has play while the motor is off and it's on the trailer or you have play while running the motor in the water?  Where are you measuring the 3 inches?  In steering wheel or at the outdrive.   If it has power steering there may be in that unit or it may be in the teleflex cable.      

With the engine running or off, there is 3" of play in the steering wheel.  I found that I have a Teleflex cable system and when I turn the wheel, I can hear the cable moving inside the Teleflex round housing but the outdrive will not move until the steering wheel is turned about 3".

Sounds like you will need a the whole new Teleflex cable.  They are only around $110- 150 and can be replaced fairly easy if you are mechanical.  If not a boat repair shop shouldn't be horrible in price.  

On 5/24/2020 at 4:12 PM, Kccode1 said:

Sounds like you will need a the whole new Teleflex cable.  They are only around $110- 150 and can be replaced fairly easy if you are mechanical.  If not a boat repair shop shouldn't be horrible in price.  

Ha ha ha ha that's funny!!! Boat repair shops soak you worst than crossing an ocean bar with 2 ft wind waves and 6 ft swells!!

On 5/29/2020 at 11:52 AM, GetAway said:

Ha ha ha ha that's funny!!! Boat repair shops soak you worst than crossing an ocean bar with 2 ft wind waves and 6 ft swells!!

Well that's true but if you don't know how to fix things then Knowledge is power.  

I go along with you 100% but you sure pay for that knowledge! I feel I've been soaked a couple of times. The last time was last year when I had the bellows changed. The DP outdrive was all nicked up, the volt meter came up broken for some strange reason and the tilt/trim angle doesn't show up on the gauge anymore and I paid through the nose for the replacement for the bellows and I had a lot of work to fix up the digs, scrapes and gorges in the outdrive. I es/fish fresh and salt water and to get the drive up to par for salt water I had a lot of work that had to be done. The shop says they had nothing to do with any of this. I took the boat out one time after the  'fixes' and I think the alternator is toast but I didn't have it tested.  I should have had my son help me remove the outdrive and did the work myself. It's not rocket science. I just did't have the time so that's what I get for not taking the time.

I'm sure not all shops are the the Volvo Penta "official' shop out there, it's just I got what I feel was damage that they caused and would not correct.

Soap Oper off!!