My Monterey
redrooster

Fuel Injection retrofit?

I'm pretty new to the forum here. Looks like a great site.

Issue at hand: I have 2001 Monterey 190 LS Montura with the Volvo/Penta 4.3 GL. I bought it last summer with 80 hours on it and love the boat. My issue is that every time I turn the engine off, it is difficult to re-start. Almost to the point that I can kill a battery before it starts. I had the engine tuned up last fall and that didn't improve the starting, if anything it is worse. The engine runs and idles fine once it does fire.

I'm thinking it has got to be a carb or choke issue. So before I dump untold fortunes into getting the carb tuned, my question is: are there any fuel injection kits available for these engines? I know the 4.3's are available with injection on newer boats, but I haven't seen a kit you can retrofit.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I would have the carb rebuilt a lot less costly than retrofitting the engine with fuel injection.Good luck

I have the same issue everything works great while things are cool and hasn't had time to heat up, until I shut off and sit for a while and upon take off again it accelerates a few seconds and dies. Sometimes I can pull the throttle back and let it idle, if it doesn't quit completely and seemingly let the fuel catch up and ease back into the throttle and it runs great.It makes sense that sitting, heat builds in the engine bay and the fuel is heating up and vaporizing. This has been a big issue with todays fuels, metal lines close to the engines and the carb.sitting directly on the intake. I am going to try non ethanol fuel first it has a higher boiling point than ethanol fuels.So if it runs ,cranks and idles good especially before everything gets hot then I don't think your Carb is bad.Hope this helps be safe out there!

I had a similar issue and the mechanic I used charged me several a lot to not fix the ultimate issue which was.....drum roll please.... a new venting gas cap for $45. Apparently, my replacement gas cap was not a venting model and therefore air could not get into the fuel tank to replace the burned fuel causing a suction effect until the fuel could no longer flow to the engine. Choke, sputter, die, especially when hot. Hours of cool down would resolve the issue, for a while.   Kudos to the Boat US captain in the Cape Coral area for the free tip while towing my boat back to said mechanic.