My Monterey
box-of-rain

Water in Bilge 2002 262 CR

I have a 2002 262 CR with a VP 5.7 duo that I recently purchased, the boat is overall very clean, just hit 200 hours. The question I have is there is about 1/2" water that sits in the bilge (I am docked in water year round), the bilge pump does not pick this up so I always have a little water in the engine compartment which isn't the end of the world but drives me a little nuts.

Should the water be there, is it common to be there, do I leave it, fix it, where is likely source.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Redondo Beach, CA.

Jerry,

I have the same thing with my 2007 270CR....I usually dip my finger and taste for salt....In my case, its not salt, its fresh water. It most likely the result of rain water run-off.

Ken

"so I always have a little water in the engine compartment which isn't the end of the world but drives me a little nuts."

Make sure the bilge pump is at the lowest point (I am sure it is already but never over look the obvious).

Centrifugal impeller pumps that will not pull the last 1/2" to 1" of water out of the bilge. If you want a dry bilge, the only way to get one is with a diaphragm pump.

Very common to our boats. Rain water will drain down from the anchor locker. They way the bilge is formed it is almost impossible for the pumps to pick up all the water. I end up using a vacuum to keep mine dry but it is a royal P.I.T.A.

I chased this for years on my 2000 262cr... finally figured it out after a heavy day of wakeboarding and hard turns to stbd. This water was coming in through the thruhull; specifically the bilge pump line [it also backs up in the shower sump]. I installed check valves in the lines and have had zero water since even after heavy rains, etc... A dry bilge for the first time in 5 years!