My Monterey
John Oakes

Charging my A/C

I have a 2005 250CR. The A/C is weak and needs a charge and uses R22. With R22 hard to find and very expensive, has anyone mixed R22 with R410A without any issues? I've read online that is works and I read it doesn't, not sure what to believe. Any help would be great.

Thanks

I would not mix R22 and R410A - they work at different pressures and you will probably not be able to charge/operate correctly.  Oils may also be non-compatible.  If you are planning on replacing the AC unit soon go for it - what do you have to lose!

I recently charged mine the right way (measuring suction line temp, wet bulb, etc).  I had a jug of R22 since my house uses it also.  You could simply just use a jug of R22 and a manifold just to slowly add R22 watching your air outlet temp - setting the outlet temp to no more that 20 degrees below room temp but this is the quick and dirty way, not the right way.  A little too much refrigerant and you will most likely be in the 12 to 15 degree range but that would work also.  The trick is to add slowly and wait to stabilize.

There is a product called R-22a that is more efficient ( use less) and less harmful to the environment.  Still very expensive.  I fixed mine by cleaning intake filter and verification that strainer was clean.