My Monterey
Alec Alessandra

How to re-attach dash panel for switches

On my new to me 2018 Monterey 355 SY, I am going through my boat and cleaning everything.  I noticed that the switch panel on the right side of the dash is loose.   Since I have no Monterey dealers near me, has anyone had to reattach the panel in the past, and if so, what did you use?   

355 Starboard Switch Panel.jpg

I have the same boat.  Also couldn’t figure out how to gain access to the switches or the panel.  The mechanic at our marina showed me that you need to unscrew the vessel view above the panel.  This will give you the access you should need.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:35 PM, FrankK said:

I have the same boat.  Also couldn’t figure out how to gain access to the switches or the panel.  The mechanic at our marina showed me that you need to unscrew the vessel view above the panel.  This will give you the access you should need.

Frank.  Thanks for the reply.  I think that in the next week or so, I am going to remove the dash panel with the hex head screws that holds the panel upon which the vessel view is mounted to.   Will try to capture some photos or videos while I am doing it to post for others.   But a few other projects first!   

So, I am in the middle of this project but here are the steps.  Thanks to Kevin Temp for his counsel and advice remotely.

I needed access to re-wire 2 switches and since ownership of my boat in the past 2 months, I found the helm switch panel plate loose.   

The switch plate is held in place to the dash with threaded studs on the back of the switch plate.   There is a nut with star washer.

To access the rear side, you have to go through the Vessel View Cut Out.  Remove the upper and lower chrome plastic bezels on the Vessel View.   I used a small plastic pry tool that you use to open a cell phone.  Once the bezel rings are removed, you will find four (4) Philips screws holding the Vessel View to the dash.  Remove the screws and carefully pull the Vessel View forward.   

Next, I used an endoscopic camera I have the wifi's to my cell phone to see what it looked like inside.   Notice the stud with the nut in the 2nd photo, and you'll see how loose mine was.  Both of the nuts on my switch plate were loose so I think maybe someone's been in there previously.  

If you carefully take the 8-32 threaded nut off (e.g. without dropping it into the abyss behind your dash), you can pull the switch plate forward.    

Now you know how to access your switches as well as how to secure the dash switch plate to the dash securely.

Vessel View Removed.jpg

Stud Post on Back of Switch Plate.jpg

Dash Switch Panel.jpg