My Monterey
Jeco92

Volvo IPS consumption

Hello,

:rolleyes: I just ordered today my first Montereyboats unit. :rolleyes:

It will be a 415SY (international version of the 400SY) with IPS 500.

My unit should be shown at the December Boat Show in Paris (France) this year.

Does anyone made some test with these motors ? I am looking for consumption and speed at different use (1000, 1500, 2000, ..., 3600 rpm).

What is the best cruising speed ? at xxx rpm ?

I am still looking for photos of the boat; as I will have the first one in France, I was not able to see it (it is a little frustrating...). Please send me some (and user manual if you can).

Best regards

Jerome Cornut

92140 Clamart

France

Congratulations Jerome!

The 415 Sport Yacht has a beautiful layout.

Fuel consumption varies depending on many factors and results can differ. Here is data from one performance test:

Boat Model 400SY Engine Model: TWIN VOLVO IPS 500

Boat Length 41' - 0" Engine HP (each): 370

Boat Beam 12' - 6" Engine Max RPM: 3500

Date Tested 21-Apr-08 Drive Model: IPS

Gear Ratio: 1.94

Prop: T5

Speed, MPH RPM MPG Range Helm dBA

Cruise Speed 34.7 3200 1.10 386 82

Top Speed 41.4 3640 0.99 295 84

RPM - MPH - MPG - GPH

600 - 4.6 - 5.5 - 0.82

1000 - 7.1 - 4.1 - 1.74

1500 - 9.5 - 1.9 - 4.96

2000 - 12.1 - 0.9 - 13.16

2200 - 15.6 - 1.0 - 15.08

2400 - 19.3 - 1.0 - 18.62

2600 - 23.1 - 1.1 - 20.10

2800 - 27.9 - 1.3 - 21.40

3000 - 31.1 - 1.3 - 24.50

3200 - 34.7 - 1.3 - 26.76

3400 - 38.0 - 1.3 - 29.82

3635 - 41.4 - 1.0 - 41.70

Notes: These test results are only valid for the boat listed by the hull ID#, at the time, date and place of the test. Testing variables include but are not limited to weather, prop, hull, and water condition, installation of various options, and captains. Speed was measured by GPS. Testing performed on fresh water near sealevel. Range is based on 90% of fuel tank capacity.

I have also attached a February "Boating Magazine" article with performance data for you to review.

400_415_SY.pdf

Thank you very much for this information, I am

yearning to get mine...

Jérôme

Hello,

:rolleyes: I just ordered today my first Montereyboats unit. :rolleyes:

It will be a 415SY (international version of the 400SY) with IPS 500.

My unit should be shown at the December Boat Show in Paris (France) this year.

Does anyone made some test with these motors ? I am looking for consumption and speed at different use (1000, 1500, 2000, ..., 3600 rpm).

What is the best cruising speed ? at xxx rpm ?

I am still looking for photos of the boat; as I will have the first one in France, I was not able to see it (it is a little frustrating...). Please send me some (and user manual if you can).

Best regards

Jerome Cornut

92140 Clamart

France

Hi Jerome,

I have had my 400SY since April. It is a great boat! In ideal conditions I can cruise at 200rpm below the maximum, at about 3400rpm. Depending on fuel, water and other load factors, the maximum cruise speed is 35-37mph. Top speed is about 41-42mph, again dependent on load and weather conditions.

This past week I cruised 5 hours to my destination in bad weather, and returned in 3 hours in good weather. I used approximately 5/8 of total fuel capacity for the whole trip.

I hope you enjoy your new boat. The IPS drive is amazing, though I do recommend that you follow all of Volvo's recommended maintenance activities.

Regards,

Joe Davis

Virginia, USA

Hi Jerome,

I have had my 400SY since April. It is a great boat! In ideal conditions I can cruise at 200rpm below the maximum, at about 3400rpm. Depending on fuel, water and other load factors, the maximum cruise speed is 35-37mph. Top speed is about 41-42mph, again dependent on load and weather conditions.

This past week I cruised 5 hours to my destination in bad weather, and returned in 3 hours in good weather. I used approximately 5/8 of total fuel capacity for the whole trip.

I hope you enjoy your new boat. The IPS drive is amazing, though I do recommend that you follow all of Volvo's recommended maintenance activities.

Regards,

Joe Davis

Virginia, USA

Thank you Joe for all these information,

I just sell my 2005 Cranchi Zaffiro 34. It was equipped with 2 Volvo Penta D4 260cv, my consumption with these motors was about 40 litres/hour (10,57 g/h) at 23 nautical mph. It seems the D6 consumes a lot more (+50%).

I will be at Cannes exhibition in south of France next week where I will see my first Monterey Boats model! I am sure I will not be disappointed. My 400SY will be at Paris exhibition and I will get it beginning of january 2009 (in France, we pay an expansive tax every 1st of january according to size and motor power so I prefer wait a few days before getting it).

I got some photos from the last Monterey dealer meeting (thanks to Sensey Import, the french distributor) and I downloaded the user manual from this web site so I have a lot of information to read now. The only photos I miss is one of the large storage under the sun island, one of the storage under the helm seat and one of the storage under the cockpit lounge seat. I plan a large trip in Mediterranean sea next summer and I try to prepare a list of needed things I will take with us.

By the way, what is the generator model and trademark ?

Best regards

Jérôme Cornut