My Monterey
phil

The smell

I have a 2006 Monterey 290cr. When the head is flushed we get a smell that my kids have named "swamp gas" in the cockpit.

We have flushed the blackwater tank several times, but still get the smell..

Can someone please advise as what needs to be done to get rid of it??

I have a 2006 Monterey 290cr. When the head is flushed we get a smell that my kids have named "swamp gas" in the cockpit.

I share a 2006 250cr and it suffers the same problem. I presume you have the Jabsco manual toilet. We haven't used the toilet that much so are only recently aware of it. I imagine the smell must be coming back from the holding tank when the toilet bowl is pumped dry. I wonder if some sort of disinfectant would work?

Do you guys operate in fresh water or salt?

My 262cr lives in the salt water and we deal with the exact same issue.

It was suggested we include a freshwater flush to our end of trip routine.

I also have a 2006 290CR and just noticed this problem this weekend. Am curious if there is a resoltion.

I have a 1999 242 and we had the same problem. I flush about a cup of liquid deodorant specifically made for that problem, and it seems to have worked. It looks like the blue water on an airplane or in a Porta-potty.

Are you guys adding the chemical additive to your waste tanks? If not, it's going to be toxic. Anytime you flush, air is pushed out of the waste tank through the breather fitting on the side of the boat. If it's not treated, YOU KNOW IT. There are many products out there that you dump down the toilet and virtually rids of any foul odors... Thetford is one brand, there are many out there, some even come in citrus.... And it's very cheap.... Walmart, camping stores, you can find this stuff everywhere....

As EastCoastB said, the problem is the air coming out the vent as you displace that air with waste. The solution is to get a charcoal filter kit available at most boating stores and install it in the vent line between the tank and the thru hull fitting. They recommend changing the filter yearly, but most times they last two years. This is NOT a substitute for the holding tank treatment. Tom

Our "Head Smell" is just a memory now.

I leave litre bottles of fresh water next to the head which are used for flushing.

When we pump the tank, we fill it back up with fresh water and pump it again.

once empty, I flush a gallon of fresh water with a splash of the aforementioned chemical into the head.

this combination had the problem eliminated. Then, on a recent trip to Catalina Island, I made the mistake of using salt water for my second pump-out AND I omitted the chemlical, and the smell was back.

Do you guys operate in fresh water or salt?

My 262cr lives in the salt water and we deal with the exact same issue.

It was suggested we include a freshwater flush to our end of trip routine.

Barry,

sorry, can't help you with your smell problem,-----I am having a 2009 Monterey 300ec with Volvopenta 5.7L GXI/DP one my shortlist.

Any feedback,positive-negative would be greatly appreciated.

Thank's John .

Lake Huron/Ontario/Canada.

Barry,

sorry, can't help you with your smell problem,-----I am having a 2009 Monterey 300ec with Volvopenta 5.7L GXI/DP one my shortlist.

Any feedback,positive-negative would be greatly appreciated.

Thank's John .

Lake Huron/Ontario/Canada.

I have a 270. ALWAYS use a water treatment for the head EVERY time you have it pumped out. It is not that expensive...just make sure you use it every time. We learned the hard way and are very familiar with the problem you have.

Install a charcoal filter in the vent line from the tank overboard. Continue to treat your tank after each pumpout, but the charcoal filter will eliminate all ordors. Good for at least one year.