My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Dakotas Dream

2000 262 cruise rpm's

I have a 200 262 with a volvo penta 5.7 carb with s.s. duo pro. f 4.

What is the red line rpm?

what is the cruise rpm?

Max mph.?

Currently i do most cruising a 3400rpms which seems to be best on gas. 3800-4000 i do use more gas. My spedo goes in and out. so i think 3400 rpms/ 26mph?

I cruise on the upper chesapeak bay.

Hello Dakotas Dream,

To obtain specifications for the engine, contact Mercury direct for an owner's manual (you need one anyway). The contact info is as follows: www.mercurymarine.com or 405-743-6566 in Oklahoma. The RPM limits will be in the manual as well as maintenance schedules.

Optimum cruise speed will vary a bit as the boat/engine ages but also the type of water, load on the boat, conditions of water and wind, etc. The 3400 rpm sounds about right. You are the best judge of the best fuel burn use. It is also a good idea to have a GPS and have a record your trips- there are some very inexpensive handhelds out there these days that are great which can give you an accurate reading on speed as well.

The speedometer going in and out is common (it operates by water pressure from a small tubular hose that runs from the transom) and there could be debris clogging it up.

Hello Dakotas Dream,

To obtain specifications for the engine, contact Mercury direct for an owner's manual (you need one anyway). The contact info is as follows: www.mercurymarine.com or 405-743-6566 in Oklahoma. The RPM limits will be in the manual as well as maintenance schedules.

Optimum cruise speed will vary a bit as the boat/engine ages but also the type of water, load on the boat, conditions of water and wind, etc. The 3400 rpm sounds about right. You are the best judge of the best fuel burn use. It is also a good idea to have a GPS and have a record your trips- there are some very inexpensive handhelds out there these days that are great which can give you an accurate reading on speed as well.

The speedometer going in and out is common (it operates by water pressure from a small tubular hose that runs from the transom) and there could be debris clogging it up.

Empirical evidence gathered over the last year of using our 262 offshore(same engine / drive and prop) suggests that you are right on the money with RPM / Speed / Economy!