My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Lake Mead Monster

Replace TV/VCR combo with TV-DVD on my 04 298SC

I have a 2004 298SC with a Sansui 9" TV/VCR combo and would like to replace it with a TV/DVD combo or a TV and seperate DVD player. Can anyone tell me what brand and model of equipment (with 12 volt option) would fit into the space that contains my existing TV/DVD combo? Are there any special brackets required?

The opening that houses my exisitng TV/VCR is about 12" x 12" (see attached picture) so I would like to avoid cutting out any part of the housing cabinet to make a new TV fit.

I'm surprised my 2004 298SC came with a VCR and not a DVD player and I'm sure it was not long after it was built they converted to DVD players so someone should be able to tell me what is in their boat and may work for me (maybe MOST can help).

Thanks

post-96-1215802464_thumb.jpg

I have a 2004 298SC with a Sansui 9" TV/VCR combo and would like to replace it with a TV/DVD combo or a TV and seperate DVD player. Can anyone tell me what brand and model of equipment (with 12 volt option) would fit into the space that contains my existing TV/DVD combo? Are there any special brackets required?

The opening that houses my exisitng TV/VCR is about 12" x 12" (see attached picture) so I would like to avoid cutting out any part of the housing cabinet to make a new TV fit.

I'm surprised my 2004 298SC came with a VCR and not a DVD player and I'm sure it was not long after it was built they converted to DVD players so someone should be able to tell me what is in their boat and may work for me (maybe MOST can help).

Thanks

I had the same problem (i've got an 04 SC as well). I couldn't find a tv that would fit in there and certainly not one w/ the 12V option. We live in Texas and if we're out of the slip, the genset is running and the air is on so I decided that probably would never use the 12V funtion of a tv anyway.

I went back w/a Samsung LCD flat panel that installed on an arm that I could swing in and out. I can now use the area where the TV used to sit as storage for my movies/cd's. As you probably know, the SC is lacking in the storage department so this extra benefit of a flat panel was nice.

I got the Samsung LN-T1953H and installed it on an arm which bolted to the bulkhead behind the tv cabinet. It works perfect. I bought an external DVD player which can fit behind the television or on top of the tv cabinet. It was an install that took maybe an hour (at most). The arm was pretty stiff, but just for good measure, I added velcro strips to the back the television which match up w/ strips on the t.v console. I've not had a problem with it yet and it looks really nice. You can actually see the telvision now.

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it.

Could you provide me with more information on the arm you used to mount the TV (where did you buy it, further description, model, etc.)? Anything that would help me purchase a TV mounting arm like the one that worked for you.

Also, could you elaborate on where you mounted the arm to the boat and where the TV rests when it is not being used. You mentioned mounting the arm to the bulkhead behind the TV cabinet but I'm having trouble picturing how you rigged it all up.

Perhaps you put the arm directly behind where my existing TV resides and the new TV actually covers up the existing hole in the cabinet where the old TV used to reside. Then you can grab the TV and pull it outward to access the new storage space where the old TV was. Is this how you rigged it up?

Any additional information and/or even a picture would be helpful.

Our 04 298SC does lack storage space and since we never use the aft bunk for sleeping we removed the cusion to help provide more storage space in that area.

Thanks again.

Happy to help - apologies for the slow response. I got the arm on Ebay. I did a search of the seller I bought it from and am pasting a link below for your reference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-13-30-SWIVEL-LCD...1742.m153.l1262

As far as where I mounted the arm, imagine facing the hole where the old tv/vcr combo is. I mounted the arm inside that console over to the right on the bulkhead that seperates the cabin from the head. It's the same wall that the tv cabinet is mounted to. I suggest unscrewing one of the screws used to hold the tv cabinet to that wall so you'll know what length of screw to use. I also (for safety sake) took the mirror off the wall in the head just in case the screw hit it.

So, with measurements done to center the arm so that the tv will center OVER the hole that the other tv sat in, I screwed the arm to the bulkhead. After that, I mounted the tv w/ 4 screws that go into the tv and plugged the tv in (these screws came with the arm).

With the tv mounted this way, it allows (just as you have described) you to use the cabinet for storage because the arm enables you to pull the tv out or off to the side. A couple of notes however. I let the new tv rest on the "lip" created by the piece of wood that the old tv set on. You'll see what I"m talking about when you pull your old television. I think it needs this if you are in heavy chop - maybe not, but I'd err on the side of caution.

Lastly, I added a velcro strips. I did this by sticking the velcro on the wood cabinet, peeled off the tape exposing the sticky side. I pushed the tv against the wood cabinet using the lip to set the tv on. The velcro helps keep the tv in place while underway in rough water. I've been in some pretty heavy chop and it has never moved.

Hope this helps.