My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Changes In Latitudes

Depth Gauge Sensor?

MOST -

Yesterday I noticed something on my 180FS that I hadn't noticed before. There is a circular flat metal piece in the hull of my boat (right behind/adjacent to one of the rear most trailer rollers under the hull. I'm assuming this is the depth sensor, but it appears as if there should have been a cap that covered it. And if there was a cap, by the way, it's strange they'd pick that location because of the trailer rollers going over this area.

I've had some minor drive lube leak issues (coming from the reservoir connection), and some of the oily substance in the bilge is seeping out around this metal circle. I put her in the water yesterday and checked for water intake in the bilge, and there was nothing noticeable. But it must be seeping out slowly for me to see oily residue streaking under the hull from the metal circle.

Any idea if my assumptions are correct? Was there a cap that covered this (it appears that there was a silhouette of one)? If so, where can I get a replacement, and how is it sealed?

Thanks,

Matt

Hello Matt,

That is the transducer for the depth finder. It is installed in that location on all of the sportboat hulls as that is the best place to have very little interference under the water (air bubbles from other pick ups, near a chine, etc.). It also acheives the proper angle for the cone shaped signal it puts out.

It is impossible to pick the perfect location of the transducer for all makes and models of trailers as they vary greatly in style and structure.

When you get time, give your dealer a call- as that needs to be replaced.

Hello Matt,

That is the transducer for the depth finder. It is installed in that location on all of the sportboat hulls as that is the best place to have very little interference under the water (air bubbles from other pick ups, near a chine, etc.). It also acheives the proper angle for the cone shaped signal it puts out.

It is impossible to pick the perfect location of the transducer for all makes and models of trailers as they vary greatly in style and structure.

When you get time, give your dealer a call- as that needs to be replaced.

Thanks MOST. Unfortunately my nearest Monterey dealer is 2 hours away. I'm assuming this is something I can have a local boat yard repair? And if so, do you know the make / model / part numbers for the depth sensor transducer and/or associated parts?

Thanks again,

Matt