My Monterey
mymonterey

Transducer fitment

Hi,

I have an 08 295 Cruiser over here in Australia which, I would like to say I am extremely happy with. It is agreat boat and in my opinion is way above the standards in similar Sea Rays or 4 Winns boats I looked at.

I have installed a Raymarine DSM300 module and rather than having to drill another hole in the boat I would like to know if one of the Raymarine "circular" transducers would fit in place where the existing transducer is for the depth sounder. I am assuming that the transducers are pretty much a standard size, though this may not be the case. This would make life so much easier and less cost involved.

Would appreciate your help in this matter. :rolleyes:

Hi there,

I don't know anything about the 295 (I have a 355) so don't know what electronics package, senders, tranducers etc. you have originally or what type of display you are connecting to.

My suggestion is to go see your Raymarine dealer. Several of the transducer / DSM installation manuals are available on the Raymarine site, however nothing is dimensioned so it will be difficult trying to find something that "fits"

You could also try an "in-hull" transducer (see the P79 at http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.asp...mp;PRODUCT=1374 ). You won't get speed or water temperature with this but it doesn't require holing your hull. I think the retail price is approx. A$250 - 300 (saw it at the recent Sydney show).

I have one fitted to my boat via a DSM300 and C80 display but can't tell you how it performs as it has never worked (boat was delivered end April 08!). They are still working on it!

They also make the much larger M260 but I think retail starts around the $1200 mark

Finally, I would suggest you leave the original depth transducer and gauge so you have a back-up in the future, especially if you do a lot of river work (something I haven't been able to do - yet). It is always nice to know how close the bottom is even if your fishfinder isn't working

Regards

Hi there,

I don't know anything about the 295 (I have a 355) so don't know what electronics package, senders, tranducers etc. you have originally or what type of display you are connecting to.

My suggestion is to go see your Raymarine dealer. Several of the transducer / DSM installation manuals are available on the Raymarine site, however nothing is dimensioned so it will be difficult trying to find something that "fits"

You could also try an "in-hull" transducer (see the P79 at http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.asp...mp;PRODUCT=1374 ). You won't get speed or water temperature with this but it doesn't require holing your hull. I think the retail price is approx. A$250 - 300 (saw it at the recent Sydney show).

I have one fitted to my boat via a DSM300 and C80 display but can't tell you how it performs as it has never worked (boat was delivered end April 08!). They are still working on it!

They also make the much larger M260 but I think retail starts around the $1200 mark

Finally, I would suggest you leave the original depth transducer and gauge so you have a back-up in the future, especially if you do a lot of river work (something I haven't been able to do - yet). It is always nice to know how close the bottom is even if your fishfinder isn't working

Regards

Great to see another Aussie with a Monty. We thought we were about the only one!

We're over here in Perth with a 1998 296SC - kinda like the ancestor to your 295. We privately imported her about four years back. She's been quite temperamental up to now (touch wood quick!) whilst we've gradually worked out how to keep her properly maintain her. It's been quite a learning curve - very enjoyable but punctuated by some character building breakdowns.

Have a look at the International Boating button on the Discussion Board and make a post to keep it live. Maybe if you're in WA we could catch up?