My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
rgrimes

Batter charger wiring

I recently replaced my batteries but my port battery isn't charging. I believe I may have miss wired from the charger to the battery set up. I connected the red wire from the charger to the positive terminal one for each of the three batteries and hooked the three black wires to the negative side (one for each) of each battery.

In reading through the ProTech manual it makes a statement about connecting both red and both black wires for the house batteries to one battery. Is this correct? I could see how this would work since the two house batteries are connected to each other already.

Please let me know if you have information on the correct set up. Thanks in advance!

If you have that port battery wired directly to the charger and it isn't charging, I might suspect the charger isn't working properly. Use a multimeter to measure what is coming off those two suspect wires. Disconnect wires from the port battery and hook to the multimeter then turn on the charger and see what you read. Your charger manual will tell you how many volts should be coming off those two wires, I don't want to say what you should be reading because some chargers vary their output voltage based on condition of battery. Normally, if you disconnect the battery the charger doesn't read anything and you'll get max voltage out. You could also hook two of your other charger wires which you know are charging batteries and hook them to the non charged port battery and see if the port battery gets charged. If it gets charged, again the 3rd charge bank of the charger may not be good. Bottom line, if your charger is going directly to the battery, should matter how the batteries are configured. Hope that helps some.

Hi: I have a 2004 322. The charger has 3 wires with 2 wires in each. Red&Black. Each battery should get one set. Black on Neg, Red on Positive. The two batteries you said are connected together are just the neg. Pos goes up to the switch.

good luck

GaryBeez@aol.com