My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
userfriendly

fresh water cooling full kit and through hull exhaust for a 2001 monterey monturo 248LS

I just bought this boat with the volvo 5.7L gxi duo prop and want to put a fresh watercoolingsystem on it as well as a through hull exhaust. what brands are the best and whet model will fit my boat?

Is it the original motor? (7 years old)

Is the boat on a trailer or kept in the water?

Has it always been flushed or rinsed with neutrasalt?

If its original, I would save my money and wait until you needed a refit. It won't add much value or benefit at this time.

If you do fit the freshwater cooling, check whether you also need a new or reprogrammed Engine Control Management chip. I know in Mercruisers they use different settings depending on cooling / exhaust system installed. Cost of this is expensive and not included with the aftermarket cooling or exhaust kits

The fresh water cooling system for that Volvo Penta engine was not offered as a factory option. Check with your local certified Volvo service center for their recommendation (ww.volvopenta.com or 757-436-5100).

For a limited time the Corsa Performance "Quick and Quiet" was an option on the 248LS with the 5.7 engine. It was not a popular option (very expensive). The part number was EXHAUST #15643-QQ. Depending on the boat's specific waterline measurement you will also need a riser kit. We recommend that you seek the advice and assistance from a Corsa Performance representative- if improperly installed you can have water ingestion!

Phone number to Corsa Performance is 800-486-0999 in Ohio or www.corsaperformance.com.

The thru hull exhaust can increase your boat's top end....but not by much! Also be certain to check your boating area's laws and regulations regarding sound decibels allowed. Many states have banned this type of exhaust.

yes original low hours motor, well kept and always flushed, form what i was told, just bought it, it looks well looked after, i found a kit at san juan(1/2 kit only avail) so ill try it out, thanx.

Is it the original motor? (7 years old)

Is the boat on a trailer or kept in the water?

Has it always been flushed or rinsed with neutrasalt?

[/size]

If its original, I would save my money and wait until you needed a refit. It won't add much value or benefit at this time.

If you do fit the freshwater cooling, check whether you also need a new or reprogrammed Engine Control Management chip. I know in Mercruisers they use different settings depending on cooling / exhaust system installed. Cost of this is expensive and not included with the aftermarket cooling or exhaust kits