My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
mrgitzit

Help with AC water pump needed

On my 1996 296 cruiser, the water stopped circulating thru my AC water pump while the compressor can still turn on. I confirmed that the impeller was OK in the pump housing as it moves freely without seizing. Apparently the water pump motor is not turning on. Does anyone know if there is an in line fuse or relay /pump trigger anywhere in the wiring? I'm guessing that there is a thermal solid state overload switch internal to the pump itself.

The pump is a March Mfg. BC-3C-MD. Thanks for any help. Tonight I plan to check the wiring to the pump motor to see if they are hot.

On my 1996 296 cruiser, the water stopped circulating thru my AC water pump while the compressor can still turn on. I confirmed that the impeller was OK in the pump housing as it moves freely without seizing. Apparently the water pump motor is not turning on. Does anyone know if there is an in line fuse or relay /pump trigger anywhere in the wiring? I'm guessing that there is a thermal solid state overload switch internal to the pump itself.

The pump is a March Mfg. BC-3C-MD. Thanks for any help. Tonight I plan to check the wiring to the pump motor to see if they are hot.

If your compressor works, you may just need a new pump. Pumps are available from places like West Marine. You should be able to find one that matches or comes close to the GPM of the pump that you have. They're pretty easy to replace. I have a 1999 296. I replaced the pump a few months ago.

Wish I had read and answered this earlier. I had a similar (if not the same) problem. Air conditioner running but no flow at the thru hull discharge connection. The problem was not with the pump. Most A/C pumps move a significant volume of water but do not develope much discharge pressure. I had my boat out of the water for about two months. The normally soft sea growth inside the cooing coils on the A/C units had hardened and prevented flow from going thru the cois. I flushed the A/C seawater inlet side with shore fresh water (much higher pressure than the A/C circ water pump puts out. This cleared out the hardened growth...end of problem.

To see if you have a similar problem, disconnect the water hose from the pump to the A/C unit right at the A/C unit itself. Turn on the A/C system. If you get flow at the end of the hose...you have or had the same problem I did. Hope this helps others as well.

If your compressor works, you may just need a new pump. Pumps are available from places like West Marine. You should be able to find one that matches or comes close to the GPM of the pump that you have. They're pretty easy to replace. I have a 1999 296. I replaced the pump a few months ago.