My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
beau

Tow Trucks

I just purchased a Nissan Armada. I will be towing my motorcycles around, but I feel like I would be able to tow my 262cr.

1) What do you guys have to tow your Monterey

2) How much does your boat & trailer weigh (real life, no brochure #'s please)

I use a Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab for towing. We trailer our boat from Orlando, Florida to Michigan and Canada every summer with no problems. It sucks gas as we get about 9 MPG when towing on the highway.

We own a 2006 250CR. I figure full of gas and gear for the Canada trips plus the trailer we are at approx. 10,000 pounds. Maybe a little more as beer weighs alot. I would suggest disc breaks for the trailer, they really make a difference.

I just purchased a Nissan Armada. I will be towing my motorcycles around, but I feel like I would be able to tow my 262cr.

1) What do you guys have to tow your Monterey

2) How much does your boat & trailer weigh (real life, no brochure #'s please)

Besides your tow vehicle, where you tow and how far you will be towing has a lot to do with your answer. I'm in Pennsylvania and it is hilly and we tow far. Under these circumstances, my advice is to go with no more weight than 80% of what the manufacturer recommends for your truck. They totally overrate truck pulling capacity when hills are involved. Both for getting up the hills and stopping on way back down.

For persons that live in flat areas, you can go 100% weight. You can even go more but then you get into insurance issues, etc if you get into an accident.

If you really tow far distances and have hills, go with electric over hydraulic brakes, AWESOME!

Thank you both for the solid replys. I agree with all the points both of you touched on.

Fortunately, I have access to heavier duty tow trucks through friends and work.

My poor Monterey 262cr has mysteriously ingested a whole bunch of sea water into the VP 5.7.

While I am sorting out purchasing a new motor, the boat is on a shop's trailer. before it goes back in the water,

I will have the shop take it to a scale so I can discover the actual weigh of the rig and trailer (including hitch weight)

Other members? Has anyone been to the scales to discover actual weights?

I stopped by the truck scale with my dodge 2500 diesel towing my 298sc with 1/2 fuel and water. Total vehicle weight was 22,600 lbs. Ouch!!! Trailer axles weight was 13,500 lbs. (this does not include tongue weight). Considering the weight, it tows great. The diesel can pull it up 5% grades at 55-60. The trailer has 6 wheel discs, however, they are surge which is a little dicey getting them to active with such a heavy tongue weight.

I stopped by the truck scale with my dodge 2500 diesel towing my 298sc with 1/2 fuel and water. Total vehicle weight was 22,600 lbs. Ouch!!! Trailer axles weight was 13,500 lbs. (this does not include tongue weight). Considering the weight, it tows great. The diesel can pull it up 5% grades at 55-60. The trailer has 6 wheel discs, however, they are surge which is a little dicey getting them to active with such a heavy tongue weight.

Thanks for the reply! I have asked a lot of people this question and I am shocked how most people have never stopped at a scale.

We never did weigh ours, but it is due for the 10 hour service which might be a good opportunity.