My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
EastCoastB

Monterey 330 shore power connection

I think it depends on whether the optional air conditioning was fitted. The air con runs off a separate supply circuit

No air = 1 power cord

With air = 2 power cords

If you need another cord, see www.marinco.com for their catalogue

I agree. one cord if no a/c. 2 cords if yes a/c.

One thing. I have 2 30amp cords as noted above. I also bought a 50amp splitter to hook into those marinas that could only provide me with a 50amp.

My 290 cannot run all of its electric AND an a/c off 50amps. You need to hook up to two 30amps if you want best of both worlds.

I agree. one cord if no a/c. 2 cords if yes a/c.

One thing. I have 2 30amp cords as noted above. I also bought a 50amp splitter to hook into those marinas that could only provide me with a 50amp.

My 290 cannot run all of its electric AND an a/c off 50amps. You need to hook up to two 30amps if you want best of both worlds.

Hi Rkatz,

50 amps is a lot of juice! (@ 110V = possible total load 5,500 watts).

Depending on the capacity of your a/c unit, they usually draw around 10-12A (1100-1300 watts) whilst compressor is running. So, unless you also are trying to run all your AC powered appliances ALL at the same time, 50A should be adequate (a single 30A will not be sufficient, hence the 2 x 30A boat wiring)

Where you are using the 50amp splitter cord, I suspect the marina is not supplying the full 50A at the dockside outlet. Sure the socket and the adjacent circuit breaker on the dockside pole might be a 50A type/s, this doesn't mean they actually make the full 50A available to you. The only way to be sure of what you are drawing is by measuring it.

A note of caution is required here - unless you are an electrician - don't try this yourself (although there are 'non-contact' methods of measurement available). 110V can - and does - kill.