My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Lou

Monterey 322

Whatever happened to the 322? When/why was it discontinued? I own a 1988 322. I think it's one of the best pleasure boats ever manufactured. Sorry to see it go.

Also...in what publications does Monterey advertise? I never seem to see them in the boating mags.

Hey there Lou,

The 322 was replaced in the model line up by the 330 Cruiser...I know this because I traded up from my 322 to a 330 because I loved the layout of the boat.

Hope this helps!!

Jessie

Hi

Not sure why they dropped the 322- I guess it is progress. It disappeared off the website sometime last year.

They do have a new 320SY (look at the website).

It looks like a slightly shorter and narrower version of the 330SY. (I agree with Jesse the 330 is a fantastic boat with a great layout - I've got one too)

Wow - with a set of Merc350s and the assumed reduced weight from the 330SY - it should scream 40knots+! (I get 37+ from my 330). Just don't look at the fuel gauges or flow rates! - lol)

Have a look at the website, it looks like they have upgraded a few other models as well.

Regards

PS. Looks like they have renamed the 330SY to 340SY - very confusing! - but wait, it even becomes more confusing when they sell this 330/340 as a 355SY in overseas markets. I guess its all related to waterline length vs. overall length. What would we do without marketing departments??!!

I have a 2004 model 322. What did it for us was the layout of the aft cabin. We have 2 boys and the 322 is by far the best layout I have seen for families in that size. I did see the 320 and 340 this weekend at the Toronto Boat Show but, to me despite some great innovations, the 322 offers better value (My personal opinion).

The one that turned me on huge is the new 40 footer...unbelievable!

Also, I need help on something, we don't like the table in the back. We find it too small to eat. Any idea where we could find a slightly bigger one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frenchie

Hi Frenchie,

We are a couple of 'empty nesters' so when we bought the 330 (now the 340) we really liked the open plan layout - in fact we originally looked at the 350 (now the 360) but decided to 'downsize' to the 330 because we didnt like the closed in feeling the cabins gave.

Glad you found the 'right' boat for you - I'm sure your 2 boys think it's fantastic too!

Haven't seen the 400 yet - apparently there is only 1 of them here in Oz and it is in a different state although I am planning a Florida factory visit next time I make it to the USA

As for the table, we also find it too small for more than 2 people. I plan to increase size by approx. 25% by using a timber 'overlay' with a few cleats underneath so that it fits over the existing fibreglass table. That way, we can keep / use both depending on the number of pax on board. Will get a few pics 'when' I get around to making it.

Other options might include

1. Visiting your local shipwright who could make a new table top for you. They could also 'glass over it for you if you wanted to maintain the original look

2. Maybe a more cost effective solution would be to visit your local cabinet maker who could mill / route your design and finish in a 2pack poly.

If you leave a post for M.O.S.T they will tell where you can get the 'pedestal' base fitting to suit the support tube.

Trust this gives you a few ideas

Thanks Ian,

You are right, for Empty Nesters, the 33 is superb. I agree the open layout is superior to most cruisers that size.

Also at the Toronto Boat Show, we saw the new type of teak. They had a 1998 30 footer all done up and it looks very good. We are considering doing it to our 322. www.nuteak.com for more information. Question is do you know anyone that has done it and if yes, do you know if they are happy with the results?

Cheers!

Dan

Hi Dan,

I haven't heard of nuteak but it looks similar to "Flexiteek" which is made in Sweden and according to their advertising is now being used by SeaRay and Four Winns.

I haven't used it but I did talk with another boat owner on the same marina arm who has Flexiteek in his cockpit and swim platform. It has been on his boat for 18mths and he is pleased with it. The swim platform has faded a little (compared to the cockpit). He says he will buff it lightly with a fine grit sandpaper to 'restore' the underlying colour. Although he hasn't done it yet, he has a couple of friends that have done it and apparently turns out like the brochure says.

His only 'complaint' is that it gets very hot which makes it difficult to stand on with bare feet on sunny days

Regards

Ian

P.S. If you want more comments, it might be better to start a new topic on the discussion board

Also maybe ask M.O.S.T what they think / use

I have a 2004 model 322. What did it for us was the layout of the aft cabin. We have 2 boys and the 322 is by far the best layout I have seen for families in that size. I did see the 320 and 340 this weekend at the Toronto Boat Show but, to me despite some great innovations, the 322 offers better value (My personal opinion).

The one that turned me on huge is the new 40 footer...unbelievable!

Also, I need help on something, we don't like the table in the back. We find it too small to eat. Any idea where we could find a slightly bigger one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frenchie

We have a 2003 322. There was an option in 2003 to upgrade the table to a "full" sunpad. What you got with this option was a larger table (the same size as the opening in the U seating as well as a filler pad that goes over the table.

Although we hardly if ever use the padded cushions, the larger table is wonderful.

I would check with Monterey to see if this is something you could simply order.