My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
jeffboat

05' 298 SS

Looking for a good sized bowrider going ito freshwater in the Midwest U.S. The Monterey 298SS looks great with lots of options and is on the short list.

Any first hand experience regarding quality, reliability, handling, to help with purchase ?

Listed this request under technical- hope not redundant.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2006 298 ss I purchased last summer. This is a great day boat. I purchased this in long island, NY and drove it to the hudson river and then up to Albany. It handled great in the ocean (decent sized waves) and cruised the hudson in no time (twin volvo 320's). I dock the boat in Lake George where the waves can get a bit high when the wind kicks up, but I had zero trouble with the waves (people on the bow had to get used to relaxing when a big wave came. they were used to our old 5k pound 27' Regal which bounced around a bit. This boat is 8k + pounds and handles the waves easily). Perfect for a big lake. The boat can sit 8 people very comfortably and the aft cabin allows for tons of storage and can sleep two for weekend trips.

The only issues I have had are small ones: 1) no table (adding one this winter), 2) Some moisture seems to get stuck in the aft cabin rug towards the back (looking at replacing rug with synthetic wood or snap in carpet), 3) the bow cover is taking on water because it is not a tight fit (fixing), and 4) the step down bathroom is a steep step (I added a step so my mom could get in and out).

I looked at the Regal and Formula big bow riders, but I just could not see the value as compared to monterey - and no aft cabin. Good luck.

Looking for a good sized bowrider going ito freshwater in the Midwest U.S. The Monterey 298SS looks great with lots of options and is on the short list.

Any first hand experience regarding quality, reliability, handling, to help with purchase ?

Thanks in advance.

I have this boat and use it mainly on the St Lawrence River. She has also crossed Lake Ontario a number of times.

We love it. We had a 20' SeaRay before getting this and sitting in the bow could be a wet experiance when the waves kicked up. No worries in this boat. In fact it was a quick adjustment not slowing for wakes like we use to have to do. This boat is dry.

She is a head turner and has no problem keeping up with others.

She handles great and is easy to dock.

My problems, I can not stop a vacuum leak in the head system. It functions fine but it does run all night and will drain the battery.

The other thing I don't like is the location of the GPS. Low and behind the wheel is a terrible spot.

Would I buy her again? You bet.

Bob