My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Dan

MOST- Battery question

Couple of questions for MOST, however anyone can feel free to input.....Would like to add an additional house battery on my 282CR. If I just add the battery and put pos to pos and neg to neg, will the charger be able to charge both batteries? My boat has 1 standard flooded cell battery that I normally switch off when not on shore power and 1 deep cycle as the house. I am thinking of replacing the deep cycle house with 2 Optima marine blue top batteries, do you see any charging issues from the inverter / charger?

Thank you

Hi Dan,

What Make/Model charger is currently on your boat?

Jeff,

The make of my charger is Protech. As far as the model, I know it's 1200 series but don't know the exact model. I can't get in the engine compartment because of a support for my tarp frame. I'll have to wait until spring to find that out.

Jeff,

The make of my charger is Protech. As far as the model, I know it's 1200 series but don't know the exact model. I can't get in the engine compartment because of a support for my tarp frame. I'll have to wait until spring to find that out.

Hi Dan,

Sorry, I just read your message. Let me look into this and see what I can find out...

Anybody????

08April2009

Hi Dan,

You should really seek the advice of a marine/auto electrician to get proper advice. Last thing you want is battery problems when you are out for the day or overnight.

Anyhow, here is the little I think I know

1. The Optima batteries are AGM type (absorbed glass mat) type - http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_edge...nical_specs.php

Looking at the technical info on this site:

RedTops - all are start batteries ONLY. You shouldn't be using these for deep cycle house batteries

BlueTop - type 34M is a start battery ONLY. All others are OK for dual purpose

YellowTop - all are OK for dual purpose

2. You said your start battery is a "flooded cell".

3. It is NOT a good idea to mix the battery types (AGM and flooded cell) UNLESS your charger allows for it (and I don't believe the Protech1200 series does). This is because they have different charge characteristics and what is good for one type may not be good for another type.

The key to the discussion is your charger. You really need to know what it is.

The rest of this response assumes you have a 1200 series.

If you are sure it is a Protech 1200 - here is the link for the 1200 series manual http://promariner.com/images/ProductPhotos...hi%20Manual.pdf

Page 8 will give you a good idea of differences in charging betwen battery types

4. This is where things get a little "muddy"

Based on the comments of Protech, you should NOT have the "mixed" setup (flooded start and AGM house).

If you look at the Optima site, they recommend a RANGE of recharge voltages, currents and times - all of which fit into the Protech "flooded" range.

I guess Protech would be taking an average of all maufacturers of AGM and setting their product to suit - so whilst Protech say you shouldn't "mix" types - in reality (for Optima AGM type at least) - it shouldn't be too much of a problem

Having said that, I certainly would be concerned if you were constantly overcharging any type of battery. It is a sure way to significantly shorten it's life

5. Connections. Yes the correct way to connect the 2 house batteries is red (positive) to red (positive) AND black (negative) to black (negative). This referred to having the batteries connected "in parallel". Do not attempt to connect in any other way otherwise you run the risk of connecting them "in series" and getting 24volts - that would be a disasterous situation and a sure way to seriously damage your boats electrical system.

6. Once you have connected your 2 house batteries in parallel, you only need 1 charging wire per "bank" (see page 11 of the Protech manual).

In your case you have 2 "banks" i.e. "Bank1" = the start battery and "Bank2" = the 2 house batteries connected in parallel

Also see the note about using a "jumper" if you Protech charger has 3 output posts

7. I wouldn't mix old and new batteries. If you want 2 house batteries - make them BOTH new. Depending upon age, condition, usage patterns etc., I'm sure it would "work" but the older battery could degrade the performance of the new.

There is also a case to change your start battery to match the type of house battery you are using (see comments above).

8. I can't comment as to suitability of Optima batteries or other AGM type batteries as I have never used them. My 330SY uses flooded cells and I've never had any problems to date.

9. As for your comment about "start battery being switched off", even with the battery switches in the OFF postion, the charger will continue to charge / top up all of the batteries connected to it whilst AC supply is on at the charger input. This is why the charger has a wire running to each "bank". It also uses this same wire to measure / control voltages but that is a whole new subject of charger design not relevant here.

10. Remember to have fuses fitted to the charge wires connected to the battery banks. See Protech manual. These should have already been fitted in the original installation

Hopefully this helps a little

Regards

Ian

P.S. I haven't considered the effect of the alternator fixed to the boat motor, suffice to say the output voltages would be within the ranges noted above. Combined with it's own and the boats independent voltage sensitive relay (VSR) switching system, we can ignore

Ian,

Thanx for the response. I think my best bet is to just get another deep cycle battery the same as I already have and hook that up in parallel.

I did read my Protech manual but it was not clear to me if I could hook up another battery. The house battery only has 1 season on it and i've kept it charged throughout the winter so I think I'll be all set to hook up another one just like it.

Ian,

Thanx for the response. I think my best bet is to just get another deep cycle battery the same as I already have and hook that up in parallel.

I did read my Protech manual but it was not clear to me if I could hook up another battery. The house battery only has 1 season on it and i've kept it charged throughout the winter so I think I'll be all set to hook up another one just like it.

Dan,

That should work well - as you suggest, just make sure it is the same battery i.e. type and capacity

Regards