My Monterey
Sophie

Davits and Integrated Swim Platform

I have a 2008 290 with an integrated swim platform and need to install davits for an inflatable. Not sure what the core material layers are within the integrated swim paltform. When adding davits i.e. Weaver, is it necessary to use a long bolt from the top of the swim platform through to the underside (8 inches or so). Or, can you use the Weaver Industries Snap Toggler which is, for the most part, a butterfly screw which only penetrates the top of the swim platform?

Hi Sophie,

Sorry, I don't have a 290 but I can tell you about issues I had with my 330, Weaver davits and the Weaver "snap togglers"

I originally had the Weaver "Z" shaped davits that dropped the level of davit to just above the waterline. (I think Weaver call them "Offset Davit Heads). These should have never been fitted to my boat in the first place - but that is a whole different story)

Problem is that on the 330 whenever you come of the plane, a large "standing wave" comes along underneath the boat and swamps the swim platform. It doesn't matter how quickly or slowly you come off the plane, the "wave" is always there.

If the "side inflatable roll" of the dinghy is too low (too close to level of the swim platform), this wave pushes the dinghy up and will want to rip the davit out.

It actually tends to strip the thread of the "toggle nut" and the mounting plate of the davit can become bent. It didn't cause any damage to the swim platform so I guess it demonstrates how stong just the one layer of the swim platform is (at least on a 330)

Solution was to "reverse" the "Z" davit so that the inflatable roll is well above the level of the swim platform and unaffected by the "wave"

You should check your 290 to see if this "wave" will affect your dinghy and place the height accordingly.

I have a 2008 290 with an integrated swim platform and need to install davits for an inflatable. Not sure what the core material layers are within the integrated swim paltform. When adding davits i.e. Weaver, is it necessary to use a long bolt from the top of the swim platform through to the underside (8 inches or so). Or, can you use the Weaver Industries Snap Toggler which is, for the most part, a butterfly screw which only penetrates the top of the swim platform?

Hi there,

it´s funny i just put the link for that, i´m going to buy the davits i just have to make the formula he puts on the site, i have a 278sc new one, take a look to this:

Example: If your dinghy width is 60", then divide by 2 + 4" = 34". If your swim platform is 32", by adding 2" to the platform this would make it equal to the dinghy width of 34" so then you would have chosen the 6" model.

Hint: it's the 6 inch model you need because 4 inches of the mount must be used to secure to the deck.

I´m with the same problem also

Best Regards

Marfi

Hi Sophie,

Sorry, I don't have a 290 but I can tell you about issues I had with my 330, Weaver davits and the Weaver "snap togglers"

I originally had the Weaver "Z" shaped davits that dropped the level of davit to just above the waterline. (I think Weaver call them "Offset Davit Heads). These should have never been fitted to my boat in the first place - but that is a whole different story)

Problem is that on the 330 whenever you come of the plane, a large "standing wave" comes along underneath the boat and swamps the swim platform. It doesn't matter how quickly or slowly you come off the plane, the "wave" is always there.

If the "side inflatable roll" of the dinghy is too low (too close to level of the swim platform), this wave pushes the dinghy up and will want to rip the davit out.

It actually tends to strip the thread of the "toggle nut" and the mounting plate of the davit can become bent. It didn't cause any damage to the swim platform so I guess it demonstrates how stong just the one layer of the swim platform is (at least on a 330)

Solution was to "reverse" the "Z" davit so that the inflatable roll is well above the level of the swim platform and unaffected by the "wave"

You should check your 290 to see if this "wave" will affect your dinghy and place the height accordingly.

Hi Ian,

Give me just an opinion are you talking about this ( i think is on attach ), because this is what i´m thinking about and is above the water line in fact is above the swimplatform

Best Regards

Marfi

post-2085-1238516482_thumb.jpg

MOST . . . would you be able to shed some light on my original question with regard to the core materials in the integrated swim platform of a 2008 290 and the installation of Weaver davits? Thanks.

And thanks Ian and Marfi for sharing your experience.

Hi Marfi,

I have the Weaver system and my modifications now place the dinghy inflatable roll at least 10cm (4") above the level of my 330SY swim platform. As I said before I seem to get a very large wave come from under my boat and literally swamp or flood my swim platform whenever I come off the plane

I suggest you look at your swim platform under fast / slow drop offs from when your 290 is planning. Maybe if you stand a passenger on the swim platform whilst doing this to simulate the mass of the dinghy would help. (Just make sure they hang on tight - lol)

Looking at the picture you attached, it would appear the keel and inflatable sides of the dinghy is well above any wave I have experienced.

I couldn't use the "pull on" system you are investigating as i have vertical stern rails at the rear of my swim platform to provide fall arrest and support a BBQ and canopy (see my pics under profile).

With your proposed system, can you remove the davits so it doesnt become a trip hazard when the dinghy is not on the swim platform?

Do you have enough space to pull the dinghy onto the swim platform AND then have enough clearance to walk between the dinghy and the rear transome of the boat after loading the dinghy? (the model in the photo is skinny - I am not - lol) Also the swim platform in the photo is very deep / long and even appears recessed into the actual transome

Regards

Ian