My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
CF180FS

Question on trim gauge & sender

Hi All -

I recently took delivery of a 2008 180FS that, of course, needed some adjustments and tweeking. One of the issues that I am a bit at odds with the dealer on is the trim gauge reading. Initially, the gauge red full down when the drive was full in/down and just 1/4 of the scale when trimmed full out/up (NOT trailer position, just trim).

I complained that this was not correct and they adjusted the sending unit <_< - now it reads 1/4 scale when full in/down and 1/2 scale when full out/up; basically they just moved the initial position of the needle. They insist this is correct operation.

I know these gauges are relative indicators but am I wrong? Shouldn't the needle move more than 1/4 of the scale between full down and full up? I don't seem to remember the gauge on my previous 2 boats (both Mercruiser powerd as is the Monterey).

TIA

David

Hi All -

I recently took delivery of a 2008 180FS that, of course, needed some adjustments and tweeking. One of the issues that I am a bit at odds with the dealer on is the trim gauge reading. Initially, the gauge red full down when the drive was full in/down and just 1/4 of the scale when trimmed full out/up (NOT trailer position, just trim).

I complained that this was not correct and they adjusted the sending unit <_< - now it reads 1/4 scale when full in/down and 1/2 scale when full out/up; basically they just moved the initial position of the needle. They insist this is correct operation.

I know these gauges are relative indicators but am I wrong? Shouldn't the needle move more than 1/4 of the scale between full down and full up? I don't seem to remember the gauge on my previous 2 boats (both Mercruiser powerd as is the Monterey).

TIA

David

Hi David,

First off all what´s your engine type? is a mpi mercury? what kind off gauges do you have are they smartcraft?, the gauge off the power trim goes from UP to Down don´t have only 2 positions, something is wrong if i where you i enter the mercury site and live that question to them, or juast give a call to mercury distribuiter.

Best Regards

Marfi

Thanks Marfi,

It's a 3.0L I/O on an alpha 1 drive. Don't know the gauge manufacturer but it's a 2008 180FS if that helps. Do you have a URL for the mercury forums?

thanks for the info Marfi.

Just for another try, does anyone know the correct range of the gauge?