My Monterey
Bob

Bowmar hatch issue

To the M.O.S.T.- The riser arm of my Bowmar deck hatch on the bow of my 2005 248 LSC is glued to the inside of the hatch. The arm came unglued, so I "roughed" up the surfaces, re-glued it, and used a pressure-fitted post to hold it in place until the glue dried. I've done this 3 times using different kinds of adhesive each time (Suyper glue, contact cement, PC-11 Marine epoxy). However, after a period of time (a few days to a few weeks) the riser arm comes unglued. Obviously, the hatch cover material requires a special adhesive to hold. Can you tell me what type of glue to use and where to get it?

thank you!

To the M.O.S.T.- The riser arm of my Bowmar deck hatch on the bow of my 2005 248 LSC is glued to the inside of the hatch. The arm came unglued, so I "roughed" up the surfaces, re-glued it, and used a pressure-fitted post to hold it in place until the glue dried. I've done this 3 times using different kinds of adhesive each time (Suyper glue, contact cement, PC-11 Marine epoxy). However, after a period of time (a few days to a few weeks) the riser arm comes unglued. Obviously, the hatch cover material requires a special adhesive to hold. Can you tell me what type of glue to use and where to get it?

thank you!

I had the same problem a few years ago. I would up putting some stainless round headed cap screws through it to hold the parts together.

I had the same problem a few years ago. I would up putting some stainless round headed cap screws through it to hold the parts together.

I had the same problem with the large hatch on my 322, I used 5200 and some bluepainters tape and I left the hatch alone for 10 days. Its been a few months and all 3 handles are doing well. Good luck

I called Bomar and they told me the hatch cover was acrylic and you cannot glue acrylic. You must use a solvent. They insisted that you cannot reattach the plastic housing of the arm to the acrylic cover (the arm assembly is black plastic and the hatch is acrylic) and they tried to sell me a new hatch assembly unit for about $130. After doing some research, I found a $3 tube of "SureHold Plastic Surgery" adhesive that works on both Acrylic and other plastics. You can pick it up at Walgreens. It has now been about 4 weeks since the repair, and all seems to be OK! Hope it lasts.

I called Bomar and they told me the hatch cover was acrylic and you cannot glue acrylic. You must use a solvent. They insisted that you cannot reattach the plastic housing of the arm to the acrylic cover (the arm assembly is black plastic and the hatch is acrylic) and they tried to sell me a new hatch assembly unit for about $130. After doing some research, I found a $3 tube of "SureHold Plastic Surgery" adhesive that works on both Acrylic and other plastics. You can pick it up at Walgreens. It has now been about 4 weeks since the repair, and all seems to be OK! Hope it lasts.

UPDATE- After another 2 months the "Plastic Surgery" product is still holding fine!!!

<!--quoteo(post=1661:date=May 28 2009, 03:45 PM:name=Bob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob @ May 28 2009, 03:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1661"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I called Bomar and they told me the hatch cover was acrylic and you cannot glue acrylic. You must use a solvent. They insisted that you cannot reattach the plastic housing of the arm to the acrylic cover (the arm assembly is black plastic and the hatch is acrylic) and they tried to sell me a new hatch assembly unit for about $130. After doing some research, I found a $3 tube of "SureHold Plastic Surgery" adhesive that works on both Acrylic and other plastics. You can pick it up at Walgreens. It has now been about 4 weeks since the repair, and all seems to be OK! Hope it lasts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UPDATE- After another 2 months the "Plastic Surgery" product is still holding fine!!!

I have the same problem with one of my hatch arms on my 2001 262 CR. As soon as the weather breaks I will give your solution a try.

QUOTE(Bob @ May 28 2009, 03:45 PM) I called Bomar and they told me the hatch cover was acrylic and you cannot glue acrylic. You must use a solvent. They insisted that you cannot reattach the plastic housing of the arm to the acrylic cover (the arm assembly is black plastic and the hatch is acrylic) and they tried to sell me a new hatch assembly unit for about $130. After doing some research, I found a $3 tube of "SureHold Plastic Surgery" adhesive that works on both Acrylic and other plastics. You can pick it up at Walgreens. It has now been about 4 weeks since the repair, and all seems to be OK! Hope it lasts.

QUOTE(Bob @ May 28 2009, 03:45 PM) I called Bomar and they told me the hatch cover was acrylic and you cannot glue acrylic. You must use a solvent. They insisted that you cannot reattach the plastic housing of the arm to the acrylic cover (the arm assembly is black plastic and the hatch is acrylic) and they tried to sell me a new hatch assembly unit for about $130. After doing some research, I found a $3 tube of "SureHold Plastic Surgery" adhesive that works on both Acrylic and other plastics. You can pick it up at Walgreens. It has now been about 4 weeks since the repair, and all seems to be OK! Hope it lasts.

How about another update?

Thanks

Well it's now 2013 and the "SureHold Plastic Surgery" adhesive is still holding up. Best $3 I've ever spent!

I am missing one of the glue on type hatch dogs.

Any Idea where to get one?

Part # ?

Thanx

Red