My Monterey

Hello My 2001 Montura, 5.0 Volvo MPH gauge stoped working. I can see it trying to work but it does not go past 10 mph. Can you help? Thank you for your time.

Hello Sean,

The most common cause is not the gauge ....The speedo hose could be clogged with small debris or algae blocking the flow of water to your speedometer. Also, the pitot could be out of position or damaged.

Check those first visually making certain the pitot's impellor (looks like a small paddle wheel) is clean, in good condition and spins freely when you turn it. The pitot needs to be in the down position, and replace it if it is damaged or broken.

The speedo hose itself might need to be cleaned out where it connects to the pitot. Algae often grows right where that connection is.

Hello Sean,

The most common cause is not the gauge ....The speedo hose could be clogged with small debris or algae blocking the flow of water to your speedometer. Also, the pitot could be out of position or damaged.

Check those first visually making certain the pitot's impellor (looks like a small paddle wheel) is clean, in good condition and spins freely when you turn it. The pitot needs to be in the down position, and replace it if it is damaged or broken.

The speedo hose itself might need to be cleaned out where it connects to the pitot. Algae often grows right where that connection is.

Where is the pitot? I have a Montura 218LS open bow.

Thanks,

Tim

Where is the pitot? I have a Montura 218LS open bow.

Thanks,

Tim

depending on the style the pitot is a small brass fitting in a white plastic arm on the transom of the boat. The other 'paddle wheel' style has the pressure inlet just behind the paddle wheel itself. The pitot is the point of contact with the water pressure at the end of the hose. Hope this helps....

I hope this is the right place for me to post this.

I have a 192 SC and I hit some debris and my speedo has not worked since. I believe my pitot opening is this little forward facing notch in my lower unit.

I have tried cleaning it to no avail.

So if that's the pitot tube opening, how on this earth do I access the tube? It's inside my lower unit and I can't see anything!

The hole is clear of debris (I think) and I suspect the tube is clogged or became disconnected.

Thanks!