My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer45

Towing with Snap-on Covers in Place?

I have a 2008 Monterey 214 FS that I’ll be trailering about 300 miles next month. Most of the trip will be on 2-lane highways so I’ll probably be going about 60 mph max. Anyway, I have the snap-on covers covers that came with the boat when I bought it new last year. I’ve never trailered this far before, and would like to keep the boat covered when I tow in case of rain and to keep out road grime. Is this a wise idea? Will I be beating up my gel coat by keeping the covers on?

Advice appreciated…thanks!

I have a 2008 Monterey 214 FS that I'll be trailering about 300 miles next month. Most of the trip will be on 2-lane highways so I'll probably be going about 60 mph max. Anyway, I have the snap-on covers covers that came with the boat when I bought it new last year. I've never trailered this far before, and would like to keep the boat covered when I tow in case of rain and to keep out road grime. Is this a wise idea? Will I be beating up my gel coat by keeping the covers on?

Hi there,

Don´t use your bimini on, take it off or you can loose it on the highway, there´s no problem if you trail your boat with the cover on, the problem is only the bimini, i see to many boats gets to Algarve with no bimini because it blow out on the highway, the manufacter only give warranty until 30 mph on sea so make your choice about this, another thing pull up the sterndrive to the max and put a litle piece off wood on the back off the sterndrive so iff the trim oil have any problem you don´t end up on your sterndrive on the road, see one like this about 15 days ago, the boat owner wasn´t to please with it but so what it was him who let the sterndrive down.

It´s very expensive a replace like that.

Ride with your heart

Marfi

I have a 2008 Monterey 214 FS that I'll be trailering about 300 miles next month. Most of the trip will be on 2-lane highways so I'll probably be going about 60 mph max. Anyway, I have the snap-on covers covers that came with the boat when I bought it new last year. I've never trailered this far before, and would like to keep the boat covered when I tow in case of rain and to keep out road grime. Is this a wise idea? Will I be beating up my gel coat by keeping the covers on?

Running 60+MPH with the snap on covers will put undue strain on your nice (& expensive) canvas covers IMO. What I would recommend is buying a cheaper one piece travel cover made of sythetics. I purchased one for my 2003 218 LS for about $120. It actually offers a little more protection as well since the cover comes down over the sides of the vessel a little bit as opposed to snapping right up on the top.

One of the best things you can do if towing with the cockpit cover snapped on is to run painters tape across the front of the cover which will preven wind from coming up under the cover and blowing it off. Preventing that wind from going under the cover will save you a lot of headaches and as someone mentioned stress on the cover and snaps. since you will get some air from the sides of the cover, don't ever tape the cover across the back of the boat. It still needs that area to vent out.... Since I've been using this method I've never had any issues with the cover and I've covered thousands of miles.... Good Luck!