My Monterey
SaskMonterey

HDR610 Humminbird Depth Gauge Issue

Hi,... I just purchased a 2001 Monterey Montura 190LS and it has the Humminbird HDR-610 Depth Gauge in it - which obviously isn't working correctly. It has power, I can scroll through the different options and set them, but after waiting five seconds, it exits the settings screen and just displays the depth measurement (eg; "ft"), but no numbers (eg; "10" ft).

I've checked the wire from the transducer to the gauge, and it looks okay. Tried unplugging it and plugging it back into the gauge. It looks like the wire runs into a 'puck' type transducer mounted inside the hull underneath the 4.3L MerCruiser engine. It looks like the wire that goes into the transducer doesn't unplug - as I tried a gentle tug on it and it didn't budge.

Can anyone suggest anything? Am I missing something? Or is it an issue with the guage itself - or the transducer?

Thanks

Just a bit of an update. I got a chance to play around with this some more this past weekend and here's where I'm at...

I double-checked all of the cables and connections again, and they all look good. But now the display will read ~4.0ft on the display when it's sitting on the trailer - out of the water. I can't be positive that it didn't do this before, but I don't think it ever displayed anything regardless of if it was in or out of the water.

So now it's got me thinking that the issue is something to do with when the boat is in the water. Possibly an issue with the transducer? I dunno... but this is something that I'm hoping can be resolved. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks

Hello SaskMonterey,

I have attached a manual for the Humminbird 610 for troubleshooting for you. Hopefully it will help you find the solution.

Thanks once again for the reply - although I don't see the attached manual.

I've downloaded the manual from their website and the troubleshooting section is pretty short, but does make mention that the problem may be due to the cable between the gauge and transducer. From what I can tell, the cable looks fine - but I guess the only way to be sure would be to find a new cable - which brings up a new problem... the cable appears to be attached to the transducer - so both would have to be replaced. But because the transducer is epoxied to the inside hull of the boat, I don't know if this would be possible.

I think I'm going to have the dealership look at it this fall when I bring it in for winterization. Hopefully they can determine what's causing the problem.

Thanks again

We are currently working on upgrading the "My Monterey" site...hope to have all of the bugs worked out by the end of the week.

I am glad you were able to get the manual, it is one of the additions to be added to the "Product Support" section!

I am certain that your dealer can take care of the issue at winterization...keep us posted.

Thought I would post another update to this post...

I just picked the boat up from the dealer and it looks like the transducer was the culprit. They had a heck of a time finding one (it was back-ordered for months), but they finally got it replaced. Unfortunately I can't confirm that it's working until the lakes around here unfreeze (around the beginning of May), but I would like to assume that the dealer got it fixed. I'll post again if it didn't fix the problem, otherwise you can assume that it worked.

Thanks again for everyone's help.