My Monterey
SaskMonterey

4.3L MerCruiser Serial Number Question

Hi,... I just purchased a Monterey Montura 190LS with a 4.3L MerCruiser engine. The serial appeared to be label on the carb (I think that's what it is) - along with the drive serial number and another serial number that I can't think of offhand. The serial number for the engine was smudged a bit, so I ran my figure over it, and it wiped right off! :o It looks like the serial numbers are on a clear-type label, but they look like that's how they came from the factory (not forged).

I'm in a pinch now because my insurance company needs the serial number of the engine. I assume that it'd be stamped into the block of the engine somewhere, but I was unable to find it anywhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how/where I could find this number?

Thanks again.

Hello SaskMonterey,

Depending on the year of build, the engine serial numbers are in different locations. The most likely location on your engine is on the starboard stern at the split line stamped on a metal tag. Use an extension mirror to make it easier to see. You can also call Merc direct at 405-743-6566 to ask a tech.

The serial numbers are also on the vessel registration, prior insurance company papers or previous financial documents (ask the previous owner??).

Thank-you very much for the reply TheMOST. I actually meant to post a reply here - as yesterday I managed to find the serial number. Because I still had the drive and transom serial numbers, the local Merc dealer was able to locate the serial number in a database.

I had contacted the previous owner because I assumed that his insurance company would have needed the engine serial number as well. But he said he couldn't find it anywhere.

Anyway, the problem seems to be resolved now. Thanks again!

Thank-you very much for the reply TheMOST. I actually meant to post a reply here - as yesterday I managed to find the serial number. Because I still had the drive and transom serial numbers, the local Merc dealer was able to locate the serial number in a database.

I had contacted the previous owner because I assumed that his insurance company would have needed the engine serial number as well. But he said he couldn't find it anywhere.

Anyway, the problem seems to be resolved now. Thanks again!

Hi there,

And hi Most, i don´t know how mercruiser works in US, but i think you have very litle problems, first your engine should be registered in the mercruiser and also all engine oil changes , etc... registered in the Mercruiser, second where is the warrant papers? where is the owner manual? all of that papers have the serial number, when you buy a second hand boat you should ask the owner for that papers, and go to a local mercruiser dealer to resgister in the Mercruiser company all info about the engine, if that problem happens here in Portugal no one would give you money.