My Monterey
craig

Trim Tabs

Does anybody have trim tabs on the 234. If so what kind did you install or your dealer? My dealer could not install bennet or volvo tabs. Said the hull had to be modified. This doesnt sound right to me as tabs are an option.

Hello Craig,

What year is your 234FS?

It is 2007 model , its the fsx if that matters. Sorry ity took me so long to reply I work in the oil patch in the gulf. we were offshore.

Welcome back to shore Craig....

For the 2007 and 2008 model year, trim tabs were not offered as a factory option on the 234FS/FSX. For the 2009 model year, the Volvo Penta QL # 1140714 trim tabs became an option. However, there were modifications made to the hull to "beef up" the fiberglass for the installation of them. It is probably possible to retrofit them, but would be a very difficult and precise procedure. It is also a very tight fit. I checked with our tech reps (US and International) and none of them had dealers that had done this procedure to date.

Also, after checking the files, it is not an option that is frequently requested. Performance tests under load on the 234 without trim tabs installed have all been very favorable for handling. There are lots of 234's in the field and this is the first request to retro trim tabs. Is there something about your boat's handling that you feel you need to change?

IT doesn't take much trim before it starts to porpise. My previous boat was a center console w/ outboard and I could use alot of trim. The boat handles very good so I guess it's the nature of the I/O.

An outboard is a totally different animal...different center of gravity, power of prop torque and propulsion force just to name a few.

Just go easy on the trim and enjoy.

Ok thanks for the info. Awsome boat. The sound sytem is killer.