My Monterey
CitationX

Monterey 242 Cruiser top hatch replacement

My front top hatch cracked when someone walked over it and I need to replace it pronto ASAP as the rain season is upon us here in Seattle. Where can I find a matching front hatch?

Also, my hummingbird depth finder doesn't work and the shop I took it to said that the transponder is probably defective but since it is a through-the-hull model and is sealed it can't be fixed. For safety reasons I want to have the depth finder working all the time so that I know how deep the water always is and avoid accidental grounding. Is there a straightforward way to fix this transponder? I already have a GPS chartplotter but it is not always connected and I want to be able to set water depth alarm even when I'm not using my GPS.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

-Raining in Seattle

Hello there CitationX,

The factory installed deck hatch used in the 242 Cruiser from 1996 to 2001 was a Bomar/Pompanette (www.pompanette.com or 603-826-5791) 20" round NIBO and the part number was HATCH-N1139-10H-7W. You might need to replace the ring as well and that part number is RING-NT1139-OFFWH.

The thru hull transducer can be replaced with a new one. The factory installed Humminbird unit used in the 242 Cruiser from 1999 to mid 2001 was the HDR600 distributed by Techsonic Industries. You can give them a call to find out the current transducer offered to match up to your gauge. Their phone number is 334-687-6613. Also, the phone number to Humminbird is 800-747-9329 or on line at www.humminbird.com. Lots of good "stuff" to look at- watch out or you'll be buying a bunch of new "stuff"!

My Monterey montura 236 has a 20" hatch on the front deck which has a broken hinge. Would the replacement ring part number be the same and include the hinge?

Thanks in anticipation

Hello there CitationX,

The factory installed deck hatch used in the 242 Cruiser from 1996 to 2001 was a Bomar/Pompanette (www.pompanette.com or 603-826-5791) 20" round NIBO and the part number was HATCH-N1139-10H-7W. You might need to replace the ring as well and that part number is RING-NT1139-OFFWH.

The thru hull transducer can be replaced with a new one. The factory installed Humminbird unit used in the 242 Cruiser from 1999 to mid 2001 was the HDR600 distributed by Techsonic Industries. You can give them a call to find out the current transducer offered to match up to your gauge. Their phone number is 334-687-6613. Also, the phone number to Humminbird is 800-747-9329 or on line at www.humminbird.com. Lots of good "stuff" to look at- watch out or you'll be buying a bunch of new "stuff"!

.CitationX I have the same problem with my depth hummingbird  finder. It works for about 90 seconds then craps out. I've read several others have the same problem. I gave up on that unit because I didn't want to mess around with the thruhull transducer so I use my Garmin chart plotter. I set mine for 10 -  15 feet giving me safety to the bottom of the outdrive. When I'm in your area and near shore or where the plotter and paper charts show the depths I go really slow. You have a LOT of hidden rocks just below the surface of your area but. you have the best boating area in the country.