My Monterey
Dan

DC - AC Power Inverter

I'm thinking of adding a 2000w continuous, 3000w surge power inverter to power the coffee maker in my 2006 282cr when we're off shore power. I currently have 2 house batteries and might add an additional.

Will this inverter be enough to power the coffee maker and occasional microwave?

Will I need to add another battery or will 2 be enough to make a pot of coffee without draining the batts?

Is there a specific place I can tap into the 110v system (with a gen type switch) on my 282?

I have a small portable generator but my wife gets up real early and likes to have her coffee, I'm thinking the inverter would be easier and obviously a lot quieter in the early am.

Thanx in advance for any info

Dan.

Hi Dan,

That is one serious coffee maker if you need 2000W to run it!

If all you ever want is coffee - look at buying a 12v version. Just google search 12 volt coffee maker.

These commonly draw 10 - 15 amps at 12 volts for about 10 mins, so your existing battery setup should be ok.

(This would also be much cheaper than a 2000w inverter)

If you do want to install an inverter, you will find a lot of info on selection, sizing, batteries, cabling etc. on the web. Here is one example http://www.majorpower.com/inverters/battery_sizing_faq.pdf but you can find many more.

NEVER try to "tap into" your existing 110v wiring system with an inverter. It is extremely dangerous and potentially lethal (not to mention it probably being illegal). It might be possible to use a 'changeover' type system similar to what Monterey have done with the genset / shore power switching but this is something you would need a qualified electrician for.

Depending on the length of time you intend to run the inverter, you may need another house battery. If you do, make sure you choose the same type as your existing house batteries so that you can use the same battery charger. (Are you the same Dan that asked about adding house batteries and charging them in a previous post?)

You will need separate and dedicated 12volt supply wires to run a 2000w inverter (see the commentary in the above link). Don't forget switching and fusing

Hope this helps some

Ian

Thanks for the reply Ian. First off, yes I am the guy that asked about adding an additional house battery. I did and it worked out very well. I do remember you offering advice and appreciate that.

The only reason I was thinking of 2000w was to ensure that I could also use the microwave. It's probably overkill but wanted to make sure I had enough power. My current 1000w generator works ok but I was just a bit concerned on the initial surge. Maybe 1500w would do fine.

As far as tapping into my existing 110v, yes I understand the issues and would only do through a certified electrician with a gen set type switch.

The summer before last, I did buy a 12v coffee maker and it didn't work worth a crap. Although I will have to say I bought a cheap one. Maybe a better quality on would work better. I'll look into a better one and will also follow up on your link. Really appreciate your info.

Hello Dan,

After researching, an inverter was never offered on the 282 Cruiser as a factory option and we cannot give you specific procedures or recommendations as we have no data or work instructions to refer to.

It is good that you agree with Ian's advice to use only a certified marine electrician!

Hello Dan,

After researching, an inverter was never offered on the 282 Cruiser as a factory option and we cannot give you specific procedures or recommendations as we have no data or work instructions to refer to.

It is good that you agree with Ian's advice to use only a certified marine electrician!

Thanx for the reply MOST. After a brief discussion with my electrician, he asked me if a generator was an option on this boat. I stated that it was and his comment was that if the boat is pre-wire, there is a possibility he could put in a transfer switch and then plug into the generator wire harness. I was not able to find this "harness". Is my boat pre-wired for a generator?

I'm pretty sure that I'll go Ian's route....try out a good 12v coffee maker and use my external generator for the micro but certainly want to keep my options open.

Prior to buttoning up the boat for the winter this past weekend, my electrician and I took a good look around. I never noticed this but the shore power switches are slide switches that allow "only" the shore power or power from the generator. According to my electician, this is the safety switch to ensure that there is no back feed. As far as "tapping" in, he found a clump of wires (12V dc & 115V ac) all wrapped up in the engine compartment with the 115v labeled as generator. It fully appears that my boat is pre-wire for a generator. My electrician states that all we had to do was hook into those wires for the 115v and then wire in the 12v battery.

I pretty much agree with him but wanted to ensure that I / we are not missing anything.

Hi Dan,

Sounds like the 'easiest' solution. If your electrician is happy then you should be too.

I am not an electrician, but I would also consider the following points:

1. I don't know if you have dual voltage refrigerator/s in your 282. You will need to check. Generally the control circuitry in the refrigerator/s will always select the 115ac supply if it has both ac and dc available to run. If you 'switch over' the slide switches to run your inverter through the 115ac wiring, the refrigerator/s will also draw on the inverter.

So besides running your coffee marker / microwave, you will also be running the refigerator/s.

I don't believe you can manually switch which power supply you prefer. I know I can't in my 330 with 2 Indel Isotherm friges (other than physically switching the knob inside to the 'off' position)

I guess your battery charger would also 'turn on' thinking it was now running off your 'phantom genset' i.e. the inverter

2.Have a discussion with your electrician about the mounting and type of inverter. Remember you always have the possibility of gas / fuel fumes (engines) and hydrogen gas (from battery charging). Whilst some inverters are designed to work in "volatile environments", most are not. Mounting the unit in the main cabin would be preferred however your electrician will need to consider wire diameters and distances for the 12v supply.

Hope your wife enjoys the coffee!

Hi Dan,

Sounds like the 'easiest' solution. If your electrician is happy then you should be too.

I am not an electrician, but I would also consider the following points:

1. I don't know if you have dual voltage refrigerator/s in your 282. You will need to check. Generally the control circuitry in the refrigerator/s will always select the 115ac supply if it has both ac and dc available to run. If you 'switch over' the slide switches to run your inverter through the 115ac wiring, the refrigerator/s will also draw on the inverter.

So besides running your coffee marker / microwave, you will also be running the refigerator/s.

I don't believe you can manually switch which power supply you prefer. I know I can't in my 330 with 2 Indel Isotherm friges (other than physically switching the knob inside to the 'off' position)

I guess your battery charger would also 'turn on' thinking it was now running off your 'phantom genset' i.e. the inverter

2.Have a discussion with your electrician about the mounting and type of inverter. Remember you always have the possibility of gas / fuel fumes (engines) and hydrogen gas (from battery charging). Whilst some inverters are designed to work in "volatile environments", most are not. Mounting the unit in the main cabin would be preferred however your electrician will need to consider wire diameters and distances for the 12v supply.

Hope your wife enjoys the coffee!

Hello there Ian....really appreciate your replies. As far a voltage for the fridge goes, I have a breaker on the 12V panel and one on the 115V panel. I'm pretty sure as long as the 115V breaker is off, the fridge will only run on 12V. I can also shut off the battery charger via the panel breaker. I know that I can shut if off when I run my generator through the shore power lines, would expect the same through the genset connection. I can have my electrician make up a line to hook up to my portable generator just to check it out though.

After reading your comment about mounting and the type. I did some research and did notice that some are specifically made for that type of environment. I do have a spot in mind that is outside of the "engine room" and would allow for short wire feed to the batteries. I will probably go that route. Thanx for the tip....

Gotta keep the wife happy....helps make the boating experience much easier.

Hi Dan

Sounds like you got it all covered

Let me know how it all turns out

Regards Ian

I've seen many 12v coffee pots. None of them are really good.Some will do the job, but it will seem like lunchtime before they finish brewing....Tom

So I ended up finding a good deal on an 1800 watt Zantrex. Started my install...don't have it all wired in yet but here are some pics.

Inverter_a.jpg

Inverter_b.jpg

I'll add some more as I go along