My Monterey
boatingboy

New 282cr owner

Hello All,

Would you recommend barrier coating? What type of resin are used in the hulls? Also what type of cruising speed with 5.0 270 hp volvo dps should I be looking for and what kind of fuel consumption and range of fuel while cruising. How does the boat handle in rough water?

Hello All,

Would you recommend barrier coating? What type of resin are used in the hulls? Also what type of cruising speed with 5.0 270 hp volvo dps should I be looking for and what kind of fuel consumption and range of fuel while cruising. How does the boat handle in rough water?

Welcome to the board

You'll love the 282cr. Mine is an 06 with the Mercruisers and was able to get 52mph on the GPS when I first bought it. I have a lot more stuff in it now and top speed is about 47ish. She cruises really nice at about 3500rpm's (30mph). I don't have the specifics on fuel consumption but I feel it's pretty darn good for a boat this size. My 05 250cr burned about 14 gph with 1 motor at cruise and I'll bet that the 282 is somewhere's around 16-18...not bad for a twin engine boat. As far as handling in rough water, this boat is AWESOME...very stable and cuts through the chop nicely.

Good luck....you'll enjoy this boat.

....can't answer you about the barrier coating.

Hi,

I can't help you specifically with details regarding a 282, however I can provide some info based on my 330 (assuming they use the same gelcoat - resin)

For the barrier coating, check your warranty document.

I have a 330 and I must use one as my boat is permanently moored and uses bottom paint.

Extract from my warranty document is

"A marine barriercoating must be properly applied to the hull bottom if the boat is to be moored in water for periods of more than sixty(60) days in any ninety (90) day period and a marine barrier coating is also required if the boat is to be bottom painted."

Also, check your owner's manual - here is an extract from my 330.

"Bottom Painting

Your Monterey hull is manufactured using state-of-the-art materials and processes. A layer of super tough, Ashland “AME” Resin with high density and superior adhesion properties provides an exceptionally effective barrier to osmotic blistering.

Osmosis is caused by a chemical reaction between water and substances in the hull laminate below the waterline. If water breaches the exterior gelcoat and barrier layer, it can react with the chemical components in the laminate creating acidic substances. These substances create pressure

behind the gelcoat which causes blisters. An epoxy barrier coating such as the Interlux Interprotect® system properly applied to the hull before bottom paint will help prevent this problem. A barrier coating also provides an excellent base coat for the bottom paint.

Even though the hull on your Monterey is built with a layer of Ashland “AME” blister resistant resin, we recommend that additional protection from marine growth and pollution be provided by a barrier coating system and antifouling paint if the boat is to be left in the water for over 30 days. This is extremely important as pollution and marine growth can cause osmosis and damage fiberglass hulls.

Most bottom paints require some maintenance. Proper maintenance is especially important when the boat is in saltwater and not used for extended periods or after dry storage. If the hull bottom has been painted with antifouling paint, contact your dealer for the recommended maintenance procedures.

WARNING

Sandblasting the hull bottom will damage the fiberglass. Use a fiberglass wax remover and sand to scuff the gelcoat surface. The instructions and recommendations of the barrier coating and antifouling paint manufacturer should be followed exactly."

Sorry I can't help with your other questions for a 282. Hopefully someone else here will be able to provide info for you

Regards

<br />Welcome to the board<br /><br />You'll love the 282cr. Mine is an 06 with the Mercruisers and was able to get 52mph on the GPS when I first bought it. I have a lot more stuff in it now and top speed is about 47ish. She cruises really nice at about 3500rpm's (30mph). I don't have the specifics on fuel consumption but I feel it's pretty darn good for a boat this size. My 05 250cr burned about 14 gph with 1 motor at cruise and I'll bet that the 282 is somewhere's around 16-18...not bad for a twin engine boat. As far as handling in rough water, this boat is AWESOME...very stable and cuts through the chop nicely.<br /><br />Good luck....you'll enjoy this boat.<br /><br />....can't answer you about the barrier coating.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks Dan for responding back. Mine is also a 2006 left over. Sea trialed it in 4 foot seas, boat seemed to be solid and stable. Where do you boat at? We will be at the New Jersey shore and then hopefully at the Chesapeake by the end of this summer. Paul

<br />Hi,<br />I can't help you specifically with details regarding a 282, however I can provide some info based on my 330 (assuming they use the same gelcoat - resin)<br /><br /><br />For the barrier coating, check your warranty document.<br />I have a 330 and I must use one as my boat is permanently moored and uses bottom paint.<br />Extract from my warranty document is<br /><br /><i>"A marine barriercoating must be properly applied to the hull bottom if the boat is to be moored in water for periods of more than sixty(60) days in any ninety (90) day period and a marine barrier coating is also required if the boat is to be bottom painted."<br /></i><br /><br /><br />Also, check your owner's manual - here is an extract from my 330.<br /><br /><i>"Bottom Painting<br />Your Monterey hull is manufactured using state-of-the-art materials and processes. A layer of super tough, Ashland "AME" Resin with high density and superior adhesion properties provides an exceptionally effective barrier to osmotic blistering.<br />Osmosis is caused by a chemical reaction between water and substances in the hull laminate below the waterline. If water breaches the exterior gelcoat and barrier layer, it can react with the chemical components in the laminate creating acidic substances. These substances create pressure<br />behind the gelcoat which causes blisters. An epoxy barrier coating such as the Interlux Interprotect® system properly applied to the hull before bottom paint will help prevent this problem. A barrier coating also provides an excellent base coat for the bottom paint.<br />Even though the hull on your Monterey is built with a layer of Ashland "AME" blister resistant resin, we recommend that additional protection from marine growth and pollution be provided by a barrier coating system and antifouling paint if the boat is to be left in the water for over 30 days. This is extremely important as pollution and marine growth can cause osmosis and damage fiberglass hulls.<br /><br />Most bottom paints require some maintenance. Proper maintenance is especially important when the boat is in saltwater and not used for extended periods or after dry storage. If the hull bottom has been painted with antifouling paint, contact your dealer for the recommended maintenance procedures.<br /><br />WARNING<br />Sandblasting the hull bottom will damage the fiberglass. Use a fiberglass wax remover and sand to scuff the gelcoat surface. The instructions and recommendations of the barrier coating and antifouling paint manufacturer should be followed exactly."<br /><br /><br /></i>Sorry I can't help with your other questions for a 282. Hopefully someone else here will be able to provide info for you<br /><br />Regards<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Ian, thanks for the info. My dealer says that it is not necessary to barrier coat. They are going to dewax it, prime it, then put two coats of bottom paint - one hard and one ablative micron extra. Paul