My Monterey
boatingboy

282 cr question for most

The vacuflush head system including the vacuum pump is controlled via a circuit breaker on the 12 volt panel inside the cabin (which is located next to the 110volt panel). The panel location is shown in the Owner's manual at page M24. If you need a copy, you can download from the forums under section "Product Support downloadables - Cruiser Owner Manuals"

If you switch this breaker off - the head system will be inactive.

You should however investigate the reason why the vacuum pump is continuosly running.

Vacuum flush toilets work by creating a vacuum which literally sucks the waste out of the bowl and hoses / pipes. When first turned on, the pump should run for up to a minute to create this initial vacuum. When you flush the toilet, the pump will start and run again to re-create the vacuum.

The vacuum pump also runs occasionally to maintain the vacuum in the head system even if you haven't flushed it. It is commom for the pump to operate a few times every 30 - 60 mins. This compensates for any small vacuum leaks in the vacuflush head itself, hoseclamps or pump.

If the pump continuously runs you have problems and you should check the whole head system. If you want to DIY, you can download owners manuals from the www or from the downloads available here on the forums site under "Product Support Downloadables - General Use, Care and Maintenance Manuals" (if your model of head is listed)

Areas to investigate include the seals at the base of pan, hoseclamps and the pressure sensor switch which activates the pump.

Hope this helps

Ian, thanks pump seams to be fine but the 12vdc panel does not controll pump, I do see a switch that is marked head system. but even off .Head pump still runs.

Ian, thanks pump seams to be fine but the 12vdc panel does not controll pump, I do see a switch that is marked head system. but even off .Head pump still runs.

As far as I know, there is no switch to shut off the Vacu flush pump. As Ian stated before, if your pump keeps running, you have something wrong with the system. Leave some water in the bowl when you flush. If the water drains, then you have a leaking seal in the bowl. It could just be that it needs cleaning.....real easy thing to do. If you still have the paperwork for your boat, you might still have the cleaning tool for the bowl seal.

Hi boatingboy,

Sounds like you have 2 separate and distinct problems.

1 = a breaker problem

2 = a toilet system problem

I am not sure of your technical skills in problem solving. If you are not confident - now is the time to go see your marine electrician to sort the breaker problem first. Then you can tackle the toilet problem.

If you are confident to push on, here are a few things I would be checking if it was my boat.

FIRSTLY and MOST IMPORTANTLY, for safety swith of the AC supply and physically disconnect the shore power plug at BOTH the boat and the dock. The AC / DC are separated but you can never be too safe.

A. If the pump is still running with the breaker in the off postion, you have a few possibilities.

1 = the breaker is faulty. It is very unusal - but not impossible - for a breaker to go "closed circuit" when it fails

a. Firstly look at the rear of the breaker panel and check to see if there is actually a wire connected to the "load" side of the breaker. If a previous owner had a problem with the breaker at some time, they could have removed it and put it onto another breaker. This is of course not the correct thing to do - but in an emergency understandable. (although it should have been subsequently traced / fixed)

b. If there is no wire connected, you need to find where it has gone. (If there is a wire connected, go to next step c.)

I have looked in the owner's manaul, however as luck would have it, it does not have a breaker panel wiring diagram (your name isn't Murphy is it?)

Tracing the wiring harness, I think it should be a (brown with narrow blue stripe) wire - but cannot be certain of this.

If you can see this somewhere on another breaker, switch that breaker off and see if pump stops.

If it doesn't stop, it must be another colour and we need to progress a little further.

Leaving main DC power on to the breaker panel - switch off ALL the DC breakers. Turn the first breaker on and listen for the head pump. If no head pump, switch that breaker off and go to next breaker and repeat until you find the breaker that controls the head pump. Do not have anymore than 1 breaker on at a time.

If / when you find the breaker, then you will have to lift the individual wires, one at a time, from the load side of the breaker, until you find the wire that controls the head pump.

Once you have found this head pump wire, return it back to the correct breaker.

At this point you will find if this breaker is faulty or not. If the breaker is faulty, you will need to replace it with the same amp / voltage rating.

c. If there is a wire still connected, confirm it is the correct wire by lifting it off the breaker. If the pump stops, your breaker is faulty. Replace the breaker with one of the same amp / voltage rating

2. = If you have done all of the above and still can't switch off the head pump, someone has really been playing with your DC electrics and you will need to pay the marine electrician to find out what has happened.

B. Once you have fixed the problem relating to the breaker switching, you need to rectify why the head pump is continuousy running. As noted previously by Dan and myself, you need to look at vacuum leaks at bowl, pipe connections, tank connections and pump

Hope this has been of some help - a very unusal problem.

If none of the above worked for me - I would be seeking outside help

Just remember to play with the DC wiring, one wire at a time. Never disconnect buches or multiples - otherwise you may forget where they went - creating more problems

Regards

As far as I know, there is no switch to shut off the Vacu flush pump. As Ian stated before, if your pump keeps running, you have something wrong with the system. Leave some water in the bowl when you flush. If the water drains, then you have a leaking seal in the bowl. It could just be that it needs cleaning.....real easy thing to do. If you still have the paperwork for your boat, you might still have the cleaning tool for the bowl seal.

Dan, Thanks for the info. this was a new leftover boat. just needed some water in system pump stoped running. there has to be a way of shuting vac pump off other then battery switch. does your head switch on your 282 12 v panel controll vac pump.

thanks paul

Dan, Thanks for the info. this was a new leftover boat. just needed some water in system pump stoped running. there has to be a way of shuting vac pump off other then battery switch. does your head switch on your 282 12 v panel controll vac pump.

thanks paul

All is well with head system now. vac pump was wierd to bus under helm. rewierd to 12v panel marked head .....