My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Farmernick

Tacho not working on 214 FS

The tacho not working on my 214, 5.0mpi mercruiser, 2005.The grey wire on the back of tach(Imput?) goes into loom and back to engine, where should it be connected to? There is a grey/white stripe wire at the engine not connected to anything and pluged with a rubber bung. Tacho did work so thinking this not the wire.

Hello Farmernick,

It could be the tach itself. It does have a limited lifetime warranty. To troubleshoot the gauge or file a warranty claim contact Faria Instruments at www.faria-instruments.com or call 800-473-2742 (in CT.).

The grey/white wire not plugged into anything (?) does not sound like any factory wiring and could be some retro fitting or creative accessory wiring from a previous owner. The next time you have your engine in for servicing, it would be a good idea to have the tech check that wire out for you.

Nick, you're not alone with that lone wire mate. I've been having problems with the Faria depth gauge on my 194 FS with the 5.0 MPI. My dealer gave me another gauge to test and when we were in under the dash swapping them over, I saw that wire as well and wondered what if anything it should be connected to. Wondered whether something on the U.S spec boats that isn't on the EU model - but no idea what!

AJ

Well i checked every thing and still didnt work so ended up doing the old trick,... I thumped it!! and lo and behold its started to work again!! Who needs all this test gear.