My Monterey
Heinrich

Automatic Bilge Pump

I have one of these Attwood Sahara S500 Automatic bilge Pumps installed on my 270CR. Its located below the cabin floor in a compartment (housing) that collects water (eg from the wash basin). The pump has a float that should turn on the electric pump as soon the water reaches a certain depth... however, it doesn't.

I've checked the float and it appears to be loose. Also, if I give it a light tap it does turn on...

I'm not sure if it has some corrosion inside... or if the float gets 'stuck' somehow... has anyone experienced this?

Needless to say I can buy a new pump at around $42... but, if someone has advice that will solve this it will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Heinrich

Hello Heinrich,

The automatic float switch in the shower sump has internal parts made of high density plastic, rubber and metal. Over time, any part on your boat that is exposed to moisture, water, soap, shampoo and other conditions is subject to "growing" mold, scum or other debris just like your shower and basin in your home. It is unlikely that it has corrosion inside...probably just needs cleaning to free it up completely.

As part of your preventative maintenance schedule, check this automatic float switch on a regular basis. Pop off the top of the switch (the cover should have clips holding it in place) and check to see if something has it clogged up- the most common culprit is hair. Spray a little Fantastik, 409 or other gentle cleaner into the body of the switch and let it dry. It may take a couple of cleanings at first to do the job.

Hello Heinrich,

The automatic float switch in the shower sump has internal parts made of high density plastic, rubber and metal. Over time, any part on your boat that is exposed to moisture, water, soap, shampoo and other conditions is subject to "growing" mold, scum or other debris just like your shower and basin in your home. It is unlikely that it has corrosion inside...probably just needs cleaning to free it up completely.

As part of your preventative maintenance schedule, check this automatic float switch on a regular basis. Pop off the top of the switch (the cover should have clips holding it in place) and check to see if something has it clogged up- the most common culprit is hair. Spray a little Fantastik, 409 or other gentle cleaner into the body of the switch and let it dry. It may take a couple of cleanings at first to do the job.

Heinrich:

It turns out that Wallmart (of all places) sells these pumps (for very cheap! $39). Pretty trivial to cut, re-solder and heat shrink the wires again. Problem solved. Again, thanks for the reply! (If only the cleaning materials worked... that would have been even a better deal :) ). Thanks again!

I know that this is an old thread, but I hope someone might check this.

I have a 2001 302 Cruiser and the shower drain has backed up and will not drain. I tried to force water from the hose into the sink basin in the bathroom, but it just roils up through the shower drain. Lots of gunge came out when I did this, so I am going to assume that the hair, shampoo, and build up of the slimey stuff has it plugged in some fashion.

I looked online and found a few pictures of the shower sump, but cannot FIND it on my boat. Does anyone have information on how I can get to the sump so I can try to clean it out? I have NEVER cleaned this thing in the 10 years that we have had the boat! I went down in the engine compartment, but could only see the water pump that runs the sinks and the other water outlets on the boat. I saw nothing that looks like a "Shower Sump Basin" as I had seen in one picture that I found. And I am reluctant to just start unscrewing things unless I know where I am going to find the sump basin.

Any help?

Racurl. I have a 2005 298SC. My shower sump pump is located just a couple feet away from my shower drain. It's under an access panel as you step down into the cabin. Should be in the center of the hull. More than likely there will also be a backup bilge pump next to it.

Good luck

Racurl I have a 242 Cruiser and my sump is in the same place, under a small hatch that is covered with carpet. It's a clear plastic box with a mesh filter to catch hair, the pump and the float switch to turn the pump on.