My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
SeaHope

Question for MOST - How do I change navigation bulb 2005 Monterey 282

Hi MOST,

Sorry another simple question. I have a port navigation light out and I couldn't see how to access it as the metal housing seems to have no obvious way to remove it and I didn't want to use force without checking. How do I get to the bulb?

Regards

Seahope

I have the same issue with our(hopefully) 2005 282. I believe there is a small phillips screw at the back of the housing, loosen that, and the cover will come off to access the bulb.

I have the same issue with our(hopefully) 2005 282. I believe there is a small phillips screw at the back of the housing, loosen that, and the cover will come off to access the bulb.

Thanks for your answer, obviously it was almost dark by the time we berthed so I may not have been able to see the small screw.

Yes that did it. I then needed to unscrew the plastic coloured covering to access the bulb. It was fine. The problem was that the metal plate that folds over to hold the bulb in place had become less tight so I guess the electrical connection to the bulb had been lost. I bent the metal back and put it all back together.

Well, now that we brought the 282 home, I need to change the starboard nav light bulb.

Got the plastic (chrome) cover off the light base with one screw. Inside there is the

plastic (green) lens that is over the light. I can't get that off to access the bulb itself.

I tried prying it off with a screwdrive, butter knife and it would not budge. There are two

screws in the rear of the bulb housing that attach it to the deck, but there must be a third one

under the lens that I can't get to because the lens will not come out of the base/housing.

I think the wiring is fine, just need to get to the bulb itself and replace it.

So what is the trick to get the lens off ? I'm afraid I will break it into pieces if I apply more force

to pry it off. And, if I do break it, what is the replacement part number/manufacturer for a new

one in case I need to order one. Our boat is a 2005 282CR as well.

Thanks

Well, now that we brought the 282 home, I need to change the starboard nav light bulb.

Got the plastic (chrome) cover off the light base with one screw. Inside there is the

plastic (green) lens that is over the light. I can't get that off to access the bulb itself.

I tried prying it off with a screwdrive, butter knife and it would not budge. There are two

screws in the rear of the bulb housing that attach it to the deck, but there must be a third one

under the lens that I can't get to because the lens will not come out of the base/housing.

I think the wiring is fine, just need to get to the bulb itself and replace it.

So what is the trick to get the lens off ? I'm afraid I will break it into pieces if I apply more force

to pry it off. And, if I do break it, what is the replacement part number/manufacturer for a new

one in case I need to order one. Our boat is a 2005 282CR as well.

Thanks

Yes, I tried to lever it off initially but that didn't work and then I realised it just unscrewed and it didn't take too much force either I used my hand.

Only one screw at the rear of the light housing. Comes off easy to access two more screws that are fastened to the deck. Still no way I can see to get the "green" lens cover off to access the bulb itself or get to the third screw under the green lens cover that is alsoi fastened to the deck. Why does something that should be so simple , have to be so difficult?

I guess no night cruises for us until I can get it fixed. sad.gif

MOST, do you know the manufacturer of the port and starboard nav lights on a 2005 282CR ? Maybe I can call them and have them walk me through it, or worst case, order new nav light if I break this one.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Rip5,

That plastic lense should "pop off" with a twist. Maybe yours is stuck...(?)

That nav light is part #3133-1-CHROME and manufacturer is Attwood, www.attwoodmarine.com on line or (616-897-9241). You can probably find them at West Marine or other marine supply store as well. They are a current part number, ususally sold as a pair.

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the link. The Attwood site has an install instruction pdf for the lights. Reading that says, "twist the lens counterclockwise and remove". Duh ! No wonder I could not pry it off. I will be getting a new 8 watt bulb tonite and get this fixed.

Sunset cruise, here we come ! smile.gif