My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
Rip5

Help MOST : Fridge Problem

The Isotherm CR65 fridge in our new to us 2005 282CR is not working. It has power, but will not seem to start the compressor. Batteries are brand new.

The Isotherm manual says " Always connect the refrigerator directly to the battery or to the battery main switch on the plus circuit. Do not connect it via the boats own control panel or other diversions as this can cause a voltage drop in the power supply."

Most, is the fridge wired direct to the battery from the factory, or to the DC panel Refrigerator breaker ? If wired to the battery, how would the DC breaker switch be used ?

I have called Isotherm and this is what they asked me, I did not know the answer, thus my post.

The Isotherm CR65 fridge in our new to us 2005 282CR is not working. It has power, but will not seem to start the compressor. Batteries are brand new.

The Isotherm manual says " Always connect the refrigerator directly to the battery or to the battery main switch on the plus circuit. Do not connect it via the boats own control panel or other diversions as this can cause a voltage drop in the power supply."

Most, is the fridge wired direct to the battery from the factory, or to the DC panel Refrigerator breaker ? If wired to the battery, how would the DC breaker switch be used ?

I have called Isotherm and this is what they asked me, I did not know the answer, thus my post.

On my 2006 282CR, the fridge is wired to the DC panel Refrigerator breaker.

Thanks Dan. Mine is wired the same way. And it turns out that is the correct way for it to be wired.

Pulled the fridge, checked all connections, voltage in and out both AC/DC, compressor runs, module is good, fan runs, thermostat works. It turns out, the previous owner must have tried to scrape some of the ice build up from the compressor evap lines, and poked a hole in one of them. So all the coolant leaked out. I have a HVAC tech trying to "patch" the hole in the evap line, and will then test the system under pressure and see if it holds the coolant. If not, you can't just replace the evap line on these Italian Danfos compressors. New compressor needed at over $500. So if it does not hold the coolant pressure, will start saving for either a new compressor or a different fridge. These Isotherm fridges get high praise from those in the industry, but I don't know if I am sold on them yet. New fridge is over $900.

So, we may be living out of coolers this summer on the 282.mellow.gif

Hi Rip,

You can replace the evaporators

If it is your evaporator and you cant fix it - you can buy replacements for about $80

http://isotherm-parts.com/zcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=176&products_id=4296

If looking for any Danfoss replacement parts - don't just look at Indel / Isotherm

The Danfoss BD35F (the compressor and evaporator used in your CR65) is used in many different friges (Engel, Dometic etc.) so you might something a little cheaper from one of them

Hope this helps

Ian

P.S

Danfoss parent company is German

Indel parent company is Italian

Whenever you see something marked "made in Europe" or "made in EU" without actually specifying a country, generally this means it was made in one of those old "Eastern Bloc" countries. They have "globalisation" in Europe too.