My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
RSUMRTOY2

Windlass Operation?

Tips on operating a windlass? Never had one before and our "new" boat has one equipped and we pick it up on Friday. A 2004 282CR that was bought in new in 2006 and has 100 hours on it and has sat for 3 years....Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Letting the anchor down is pretty easy. Just make sure that the lock on the chain is not engaged. As far as bringing it up... I ususally just jog it a bit to swing the bow towards the anchor. I then engage the drives a bit so that I'm not using the windlass to pull the boat towards the anchor. You'll be able to hear the slight strain on the windlass if your pulling the boat. When you hear the strain, you should back off. Once the windlass is free, I keep it in the up position until I get to the chain. After that I jog it the rest of the way up. I've seen folks not jog it but at least on my 282, the chain tends to bounce on the plate and make lots of noise.

Enjoy your 282....it is a beautiful boat. I think it's Monterey's best layout in that size.

Dan

Dan's right on target - the windlass is designed to handle the strain of raising and lowering the anchor. It's not designed to pull free a fouled anchor, or to be your sole anchor connection in a blow. For those tasks transfer the rode coming up from the water to a cleat (or better yet to a yoke from both cleats).

Also - if the circular disc on top of the windlass vibrates loose over time, it will release tension on the "gypsy" that grabs the rode. If you don't check & tighten this periodically, it will work its way loose & surprise you some day. Don't ask how I know this. See your specific unit's manual for details.

Have a blast on your 282 - sounds like a Like New boat - buckee

I have a 2001 282 CR and need to replace the anchor. The previous owner did not use any chain on the assembly (just rope tied to the anchor). Do you know which size chain to use on a Sprint 600 windlass? Also, I've read that a 22 lb. anchor is the appropriate size for this boat. Can anyone confirm that or provide any suggestions?

Chain for the 600 is 1/4" US G4 ISO

This Windlass is being discontinued. That figures, mine just stopped working this past weekend.

Does anyone (MOST) know if there is a breaker or fuse somewhere on a 2005 282CR that may have been tripped ? And where to find it ?

Thanks .

Chain for the 600 is 1/4" US G4 ISO

This Windlass is being discontinued. That figures, mine just stopped working this past weekend.

Does anyone (MOST) know if there is a breaker or fuse somewhere on a 2005 282CR that may have been tripped ? And where to find it ?

Thanks .

The breaker for the windlass on the 282CR is located under the cockpit sink, below and to the left of the battery switchs.

I had no idea there was anything back there except the battery switches and shore power breakers. I will look tonite. If it is there, and

that is the problem. I owe you one....... or two.

Thanks Dan

Well, no breaker under the sink like Dan mentioned. Nothing in the engine compartment or under the helm either.

Anyone know if there IS a breaker for the windlass ? It's location ?

Windlass is locked in the up position and can't be used now.

Hello Rip5,

The factory installed windlass was a Simpson Lawrence Sprint 600 and the breaker (the windlass was an option) is located on the main DC panel in the engine room. See attached photo.

For technical support: www.lewmar.com or contact your local Lewmar dealer by using the locator on their site.

10 is the Main DC panel and the windlass breaker is located in the center.pdf

Thanks so much for the link/picture. That took care of the problem. I had not seen a breakerlike that before, and totally missed the reset lever that was tripped.

I have the same problem with my windlass. Can someone repost the picture that showed where the windlass breaker is on the 2006 Monterey 282. The picture is no longer available.

Thanks!