My Monterey
Sign in to follow this  
sylvain

Monterey 298 SC

I own a 2004 298 SC and have a problem with the strip of lights located above the kitchen cabinet and the tv/air conditioning panel as well as the microwave. In both cases plugged to shore or not I can not make it work. I switched the breakers on and off many times without success, what would be the easiest and safest way to test the breakers. Thanks for your help.

Hello Sylvain,

Were they working before and suddenly stopped working? Did anyone do any work on the boat recently or add new electrical appliances? Have any lightening storms that could have possible caused a power surge? Were any of the breakers kicked to the off position when you discovered the problem?

It would probably be best to contact your Monterey dealer or a certified marine electrician check things out for you.

Hi

I don't know much about the 298 but will see if I can give you a couple of tips

There is an electrical wiring diagram in the 282 manual (you can download from the Forum pages)

It appears that the cabin breaker also controls the lights in the head and the lights at the forward v-berth.

Do these work? or are they dead like the ones in the galley?

If all your cabin lights are "dead", then use a multimeter to check operation of the breaker. If it is faulty, replace. They are quite simple to replace. Just remember to disconnect power first.

If the breaker checks OK, then you will have to start checking the wiring

1st check the 15 pin plug / socket is firmly connected. There should be a locking tab/s to ensure it doesn't vibrate loose. (diagram in the manual)

2nd check the negatives are properly connected the the negative buss (diagram in the manual)

After that, it is probably time to call your marine electrician

Hope this helps

Ian

Were you actually switching off the switches in the panel or the breakers in the engine compartment???