My Monterey
SaskMonterey

Replacing Water Shutter

I took the prop off the boat on the weekend and noticed a chunk of rubber in the cavity behind the prop shaft. From what I've gathered, it's probably a piece of the water shutters that has fallen down the exhaust. There shouldn't be anything in there right? I was going to use some needle nose pliers to try and pull it out, but thought I should find out whether or not it's actually supposed to be there first.

I was wondering how difficult it would be to replace these (there's two shutters on a V6 right?)? Is the exhaust pipe where the shutters located at the back of the engine? Which I would think would make it pretty difficult to get at right?

Thanks

That would be a question for Mercruiser, since Monterey buys the engines and drives pre assembled

and wired, and does not work on them, just install as a package in each boat.

www.mercurymarine.com or call 405-743-6566 (in OK). You will need your engine and outdrive serial numbers when you contact them.

Thanks for the reply Rip5. I was just hoping that someone here may have come across the same problem before.

I'll have to try and find a Mercury forum - as that link doesn't appear to have a forum or community to post questions like this.

Cheers

Try sterndrive.com send an e-mail and your question will get answered.

The mercruiser site is your best source for information. Straight information from the people

that made your engine and outdrive is better than information from a total stranger on a message board.